• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
The 3-1-1 method works pretty well here.:-D
Then again I sometimes blow off the foil mod and just pull them earlier.
That also works.

Weiser

3/1/1 method.....smoke,wrap in foil....baste..4th place...iowa, 3rd place nebraska, 17th American Royale..
Andyll

i like my uds so much now that i have the temp issue out of the way. i want to do a comp rib cook with it this summer. just wondering if any one has used theres and any advice on comp cooking ( this will be my first) :roll:

If memories serve me right I believe the American Royal has been won a few times by teams using a uds, as recent as the year before last I think.
Dave

thats awsome. cant wait but still alot of practice to perfect every thing. what kind of confuses me also is that when they judge do you try to turn in your ribs hot or if it is ok for them to cool off? i know i love to eat them hot but a real long rest period it good too.

thats awsome. cant wait but still alot of practice to perfect every thing. what kind of confuses me also is that when they judge do you try to turn in your ribs hot or if it is ok for them to cool off? i know i love to eat them hot but a real long rest period it good too.

The meat is gonna be cool by the time the judges get it. Between loading the box, turning in the box, the boxes being picked up by the table captains, presented to the judges for appearane and then finally the selection by the judges for each one of their samples...well, it can easily be 20 minutes from the time you turn-in and the judges actually taste the meat.

At small events sometimes the chicken is pretty hot but I don't remember getting hot ribs, pork, or brisket very often.

thanks chad that helps alot. i was worried i would have to keep the ribs on too long just to keep them warm. and that would suck.

you know, i just realized it is a LOT easier to keep up with this thread now that i've read it all the way through... LOL! :biggrin:

I finally got through all 183 pages 2787 posts. Now it's off to the shop where a drum is waiting . I think I have enough info to start.
Thanks for all the help.

I tried a couple different way to slide in a 12" thermometer and the easiest, cleanist and least expensive ($1.00) was a stainless bolt, drill a hole through it (used the drill press at work).

Attachments

• SG102344_2.jpg
    SG102344_2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,254
  • SG102345.jpg
    SG102345.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,258
I tried a couple different way to slide in a 12" thermometer and the easiest, cleanist and least expensive ($1.00) was a stainless bolt, drill a hole through it (used the drill press at work).
That looks good Jerry, I was wondering how much clearence do you leave for the thermo to slide in and out? I have noticed a lot of build up when I'm done smoking and take a srubby pad to it to make sure it doesn't get to much build up. I did mine at work out of brass because thats what I had at the right size. I just popped in a collet and drill bit and knocked out 12 of them in about 15 min. If I need anymore I will use stainless next time. Thanks!

Guy guys guys those drums are so far from ugly! Those 12" thermometers are very cool ;love the fittings too.
Got any idea how Canuck bro might get his hands on a couple of those therms?
{I thought my UDS was pretty....}

nice work ,RockyAthabaska

thank for the quick reply D,
$36 to tel-tru would be 1\2 my uds build cost!I'm lovin the turkey fryer replacement however ,'will check out local restaurant w\s supply .My weber thermo is too short to get UDS center temps.Always up for improvement !

Happy Smokin, Rocky

Looks like a trip to Wal-Mart is coming in my near future. What kind of fittings are those for the thermometer to slide in? Do they leak when you pull it out?

Looks like a trip to Wal-Mart is coming in my near future. What kind of fittings are those for the thermometer to slide in? Do they leak when you pull it out?

The fitting I used is for some kind of water line. If you go to the plumbing section of your hardware store or the Big Orange Box you will find it there. The stem fits pretty closely in the fitting and slides in and out easily. Don't think there is a problem with any leakage as the hole is less than 1/8".

The latest smoker from the Michigan Drum Corps. :biggrin:

Attachments

• UDS Pic's 090.jpg
    UDS Pic's 090.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,216
BarberQue, I just used a bit about the same size as the stem. I did not want to get to big where it leaned down from horizontal.

Bubba, what do you use as a hanger for the lid??? Nice drum to.

Back