MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #31
Motley Q
On the road to being a farker

Bbb Sss
Motley Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #32
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley Q View Post
Bbb Sss
Try it yourself if you don't believe.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #33
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I would buy the acorn and take the extra hundred and buy a used weber gasser on craigslist. The older models can be had for a good price.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #34
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

I use gas and charcoal depends what's on the menu

Old 01-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #35
BBQdisciple
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
I would buy the acorn and take the extra hundred and buy a used weber gasser on craigslist. The older models can be had for a good price.
Thats sort of where I am. Even the kettles can be found cheap on CL, especially here in a military town.

They always seem to pop up in droves when I don't have money though.

I appreciate everyone's input. Sounds like the Akorn is the way to go. Other than the bottom vent airleak (which frankly, I am not worried about) I haven't found a bad review.

Picking it up Friday after work, season it friday night, so it is ready for a Pork shoulder on Saturday.
BBQdisciple is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #36
AugustusRooster
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Don't know if it's been mentioned already, but John Setzler (of mancavemeals fame) has an excellent site kamadoguru.com devoted to all things kamado. The Akorn section has a ton of great info, check it out if you do pull the trigger on the Akorn.

And mods, if I've broken protocol by referencing another site please remove this. Mea culpa.
AugustusRooster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #37
BBQdisciple
Full Fledged Farker

Oh ya spent a lot of time on Kamadoguru.com , that is where I first discovered them. Watched all his videos on the Akorn.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #38
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdisciple View Post

Picking it up Friday after work, season it friday night, so it is ready for a Pork shoulder on Saturday.
Have you decided whether to get the classic one with the two small flip up tables at lowes, or the new performer style side table at HD?

Old 01-31-2013, 08:28 AM   #39
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdisciple View Post
Thats sort of where I am. Even the kettles can be found cheap on CL, especially here in a military town.

They always seem to pop up in droves when I don't have money though.

I appreciate everyone's input. Sounds like the Akorn is the way to go. Other than the bottom vent airleak (which frankly, I am not worried about) I haven't found a bad review.

Sweet I can house your akorn at my place, or at least give the pork shoulder a place to cool down at on saturday. I'll PM you my address!

Old 02-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #40
BBQdisciple
Full Fledged Farker

You folks weren't kidding!!! I picked up the Akorn on Friday and cured it Friday night. I made my first mistake and didn't let the coals completely light before sealing it and opening the vents. after it took an hour to climb to 80 degrees, I opened the lid and waited a few minutes, then I saw the beast unleash!. I sealed the top and watched it climb to 600 real quick. I seasoned it at the high temperature for about an hour before I started playing with some different things. mainly vent control and dome thermometer accuracy. A "dry run" if you will on my new cooker before I attempted a 10 lb shoulder.

By the time Saturday morning rolled around, I lit the grill with confidence. I loaded it with a few pounds of Cowboy lump (best I can find) and 2 splits, one pecan and one hickory.

Once I was confident enough of the fuel was lit, i closed the lid and opened vents all the way. When the temp rose to about 200 according to my Maverick Et-73 (not dome Thermometer) I closed vents all the way to stall the rise. It stopped rising at about 276. I knew I would lose some residual heat when i put the meat on, so I decided to put it on at that temperature. sure enough, I lost about 60 degrees when I opened the lid and put the shoulder on.

Finally, I opened the top and bottom a hair and had no problem maintaining temps between 230-260 for 11 hour cook. Very minimal adjustments and those vents are touchy. In that time, I was confident enough to go to my daughter's basketball game, take my family and friend out to eat and run various errands in prep for my bbq the next day.

I only opened the dome once during cooking and that was to flip the shoulder. I cooked on the warming rack with a dollar tree foil pan punched with pin holes acting as a heat diffuser.

I went with the standard Akorn. Couldn't find the new performer style and I think I prefer the mobility of the older model.

I grilled some chicken breasts for dinner the next day and a small 4 lb brisket is on the menu for Thursday.

Thanks to all the brethren for invaluable feedback in helping me make this decision. Next up, on the lookout for a weber kettle.

Last edited by BBQdisciple; 02-05-2013 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: my days of week were off again

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #41
Motley Q
On the road to being a farker

BBQ D

I guess youi didn't read the manual.

Took an hour to reach 80 degrees?

You seasoned at 600 degrees?
Motley Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #42
aawa
Babbling Farker

So where was my invite to parttake in this pork shoulder and brisket?!

Gratz on your new cooker. I was eyeballing the akorn for a while also, but decided to go with a kettle and make myself mini wsm when I decided to make the leap.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #43
KyleOH
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmm1 View Post
I love smoke on mine too and have a pretty good stock pile of Oak. At 250-275 it will smoke non stop. At 220-230 it will smoke and slowly die after 2-3 hours out which actually works out real with ribs and what not. At 250+ I can really piss off my next door neighbor!
I can run mine at 200 for over 24 hours. At 250 mine still barely smokes. I am only opening the top vent .5 for 250. The smoke flavor is spot on. The akorn is the best money spent IMO, next would be the bbq guru to go with it!

Asus Transformer Tablet. TapatalkHD
KyleOH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #44
samfsu
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a WSM that I use for smoking that I love! Just wish it was a little bigger. I also have a Weber Genesis Silver that I use for hotdogs or when I want a quick cook without the wait of getting charcoal started. That said I also have a Weber Performer with gas assist. I like doing tri tip and other things on it but still love my genesis for quick week night cooks. The wife can use the Genesis where she wont touch the charcoal. Oh and dont forget my newest member a WSJ lol.

Congrats on the new cooker you will love it :)

Old 02-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #45
BBQdisciple
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley Q View Post
BBQ D

I guess youi didn't read the manual.

Took an hour to reach 80 degrees?

You seasoned at 600 degrees?
I read the manual about as deeply as you read my post

I didn't let the charcoal ignite enough before I closed the lid. This is why it took that long to get to 80 degrees. My mistake.

When I realized what happened and did ignite the coal, the temp ramped up to 600 very quickly. I did pull the temp down enough to make sure I did not go past the manufacturer suggested limit of 700 degrees as I knew by this point the dome thermometer was approximately 80 degrees off, but when seasoning a grill I'm going to put as much heat as possible to burn in the oil. I don't need a manual to tell me how to 'season' a grill, so I am comfortable with skipping this section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
So where was my invite to parttake in this pork shoulder and brisket?!

Gratz on your new cooker. I was eyeballing the akorn for a while also, but decided to go with a kettle and make myself mini wsm when I decided to make the leap.
Sorry, was so busy with the new toy, never received your invite request

I am happy with the purchase and plan on adding a kettle to my arsenal in the near future

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleOH View Post
I can run mine at 200 for over 24 hours. At 250 mine still barely smokes. I am only opening the top vent .5 for 250. The smoke flavor is spot on. The akorn is the best money spent IMO, next would be the bbq guru to go with it!

Asus Transformer Tablet. TapatalkHD
My wood smoked pretty good. I did load 2 splits in it. they were not there when I finished cooking. They were replaced by two new pieces of charcoal. beautiful red smoke ring and great flavor in the pork. I did heed this advice and tried to stay in the higher temperature range until the meat got above 140. BBQ guru? where's the fun in those? LOL, I don't even think i need one for the Akorn