MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #61
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

If you think Stretch was bad wait till you see the Kentucky show....
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #62
Utah Jake
On the road to being a farker

[quote=Muzzlebrake;2320081]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ PD View Post

He used to, switched a few years ago and kept the name.
Scotty Johnson put his FE100 that got him the Jack in strorage....now pulling around a Jambo.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #63
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

[quote=Utah Jake;2320362]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post

Scotty Johnson put his FE100 that got him the Jack in strorage....now pulling around a Jambo.
Close. Rod used to cook with dual FE100's mounted to the back of his trailer. I believe he took them both off and cooks only on the Jambo, but I could be wrong about this. He may still cook some comps on the Pellet Pooper. Lately I have seen him cook only on the Jambo. It may also have to do with if he is cooking with his wife or not. When she comes with him, he usually used to trailer and the FE. But when he went solo, he took the Jambo. I haven't talked with him recently to see what he is cooking on but I think he is doing most or all comps with the Jambo.

Humm......not sure why it attributed that quote to Sean instead of Utah Jake???
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #64
BrewerDJ

Just finished watching this on the DVR. Never been to Grinders but i glad he lost. And that's what the producers want. They want you to like some people and hate some people. Stretch came across as a real D-bag. Tim & Rod were fun to watch for how they cooked and their food looked AWESOME. Stretch didn't seem to much about BBQ. Never saw a pit on fire before. Tried to through around some culinary terms as well. I think he called it "O JUICE" once.

I do like the format this year. Season 1 was really fun to watch. 2 & 3 sucked. I actually forced myself to watch most of season 2 foolishly thinking it would get better. This is like the last episode of season 1. Johnny Trigg's Shootout.
BrewerDJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #65
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Trubud are standup guys. Sure would like to stick that ever winning chicken up their $#@, but good folks.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #66
SchatzSea

Would've been fun to see Plowboys on there...I guess the producers were going for something with the Grinders guy (), but they could've picked any of a dozen great comp or backyard cooks from around here to rep KC. Hell, I would've done it if they said please .

Oh well, it's still better than most shows on TV, I'll keep on watching!

The Qrew -- Smokin’ Hot Wife, Two Smokin’ Little Monkeys, and Two Hot Digity Dogs

"Hello. My name is Inigo Pork-toya. You grilled my father. Prepare to fry."

Old 01-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #67
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Kind of like when they put that scrub on season one.

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #68
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fo Sizzle My Nizzle View Post
Kind of like when they put that scrub on season one.
It may be that part of the formula is to have one of them be a **** up.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #69
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchatzSea View Post
Would've been fun to see Plowboys on there...I guess the producers were going for something with the Grinders guy (), but they could've picked any of a dozen great comp or backyard cooks from around here to rep KC. Hell, I would've done it if they said please .

Oh well, it's still better than most shows on TV, I'll keep on watching!
They wouldn't accept the YooHoo rider in Todd's contract

They filmed this @ the Royal in the middle of the Invitational teams, they couldn't throw a rock without hitting a quality KC area team. But what did their audition tape look like, it is after all a TV show.

You could almost make a case for feeling badly for Stretch. He has to go head to head with one of the few professional competition BBQ cooks and one of the hottest teams in KCBS. That's a tall order for any cook

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #70
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Q View Post
If you think Stretch was bad wait till you see the Kentucky show....
Haha it's going to be epic.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #71
msu12181

I had no idea who this Stretch guy was until last year at the Jack. He had his cape on walking around in the judging area and the MC started interviewing him. My father in law, who was with me,thought he was some local (ie Nashville) radio personality or something. I kindof ended up thinking the same thing. Believe it or not he was one of the judges at the Jack, if memory serves me correct. After watching Sunday night's episode and putting things together, I was stunned at how this guy is allowed into these circles.

Kind of makes me wonder...

Old 01-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #72
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu12181 View Post
I had no idea who this Stretch guy was until last year at the Jack. He had his cape on walking around in the judging area and the MC started interviewing him. My father in law, who was with me,thought he was some local (ie Nashville) radio personality or something. I kindof ended up thinking the same thing. Believe it or not he was one of the judges at the Jack, if memory serves me correct. After watching Sunday night's episode and putting things together, I was stunned at how this guy is allowed into these circles.

Kind of makes me wonder...
Why wouldn't he be allowed in the circle of BBQ? He may be lacking some cooking skills in the technique's of BBQ, but that doesn't mean he isn't a cool dude to hang around and drink beer with.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #73
msu12181

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
Why wouldn't he be allowed in the circle of BBQ? He may be lacking some cooking skills in the technique's of BBQ, but that doesn't mean he isn't a cool dude to hang around and drink beer with.
I am not saying he shouldn't be allowed to BBQ. Heck probably no one would allow me either given my lack of credentials too. My point is that one would think that to be on BBQ pitmasters and to be a judge at the Jack, that his skills might be a little more refined than what was displayed on TV.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #74
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Well...the producers seem to think that having characters like him around makes for good tv and better ratings I guess. Either way, it was a huge boost for his business I bet!

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #75
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Stretch's superhero cape and victory lap was pretty far away from the other guys mindset. Pellet Envy and TruBud were obvoiusly very serious and putting it on the line....earnestly hoping they showed well and/or won.

Stretch was just a sideshow clown in that event. Good laughs, for some, I guess...but way away from the other two.

TrueBud and Pellet Envy seemed like dudes that would be good to hang with.