Sam's and The Jack

Here's a paragraph from the website.

To qualify for “The Jack,” U.S. teams must have already won a competition in which 50 or more teams participated, or they must have won a competition of at least 25 teams that has been designated a “state championship.” A drawing is then held among the qualifying teams in early September to determine the final competitors.

Sam's is a qualifier only for itself right now. I asked Troy Black, and he told me that Walmart doesn't allow them to complete qualification paperwork for any other contest. They don't apply for state championship status, and they aren't able to certify the winners for contests that don't need a state championship. (e.g. the American Royal)

As I have said elsewhere, I think think it's a nice event anyway.

If a state has a "blanket" proclamation--meaning that all events is the state are State Championships--then it the local is a qualifier. The local in Des Moines last year was a qualifier for instance, as Iowa has a blanket proclamation.

I thought to be a qualifier for the Jack, the comp must be an open? To compete in Sams club you have to be a member of KCBS. Thought that voided it. Could be wrong, been wrong before.

And as I post in response every time some one brings this up, requiring membership is not the same as being an invitational. Some people just refuse to accept that. As far as I know, BF has recognized the GCs from locals in states with blanket proclamations in the past. Why this is still argued and doubted is beyond me. Keep in mind that it's Jack's party, he reserves the right to change the rules mid-year, and has done so in the past.

dmp

And as I post in response every time some one brings this up, requiring membership is not the same as being an invitational. Some people just refuse to accept that. As far as I know, BF has recognized the GCs from locals in states with blanket proclamations in the past. Why this is still argued and doubted is beyond me. Keep in mind that it's Jack's party, he reserves the right to change the rules mid-year, and has done so in the past.

dmp

How do you know if a state has a blanket proclamation? I guess it's still debated because it still seems to be misunderstood. This is my first year considering Sam's so just wanted to be informed.

How do you know if a state has a blanket proclamation? I guess it's still debated because it still seems to be misunderstood. This is my first year considering Sam's so just wanted to be informed.

I think there's only a handful, but they include California (recently) and Iowa as previously stated. Not to be rude, but I don't think it's that hard to understand. WalMart will not do anything to help any other invitational BBQ competitions. Maybe pieceful coexistance isn't in their creedo. Whatever the reason, they won't do it. No state proclamations, and no paperwork for The Royal last year.

For states that have blanket proclamations, BF has historically allowed those to go through. For this year upcoming, since the locals will be KCBS sanctioned, they will likely count toward The Royal. Regionals and national will not because they are all invitationals (which is the opposite of open). There's a handfull of people who constantly claim that requiring KCBS membership means not open. Personally, I'd be more concerned with the No Undue Bennefit requirement of being a 501(c)(3), but I'm sure they've consulted with legal council. Regardless, look to what's been done in the past. When it doubt, call BF and AR. They both pick up the phone.

dmp

I think there's only a handful, but they include California (recently) and Iowa as previously stated. Not to be rude, but I don't think it's that hard to understand. WalMart will not do anything to help any other invitational BBQ competitions. Maybe pieceful coexistance isn't in their creedo. Whatever the reason, they won't do it. No state proclamations, and no paperwork for The Royal last year.

For states that have blanket proclamations, BF has historically allowed those to go through. For this year upcoming, since the locals will be KCBS sanctioned, they will likely count toward The Royal. Regionals and national will not because they are all invitationals (which is the opposite of open). There's a handfull of people who constantly claim that requiring KCBS membership means not open. Personally, I'd be more concerned with the No Undue Bennefit requirement of being a 501(c)(3), but I'm sure they've consulted with legal council. Regardless, look to what's been done in the past. When it doubt, call BF and AR. They both pick up the phone.

dmp

I guess I'm just a little slow. The doctor always said I was borderline artistic

I guess I'm just a little slow. The doctor always said I was borderline artistic

Sorry. I didn't mean you. It's great that people ask, and I want you to have the most accurate answer. I just wish that when something has been discussed 20 times over the past two years and history shows one thing as true, the opposite isn't repeated to those who ask the questions...

dmp

ps, regardless of whether it's a qualifier, best of luck! Going to Winchester this year?

Sorry. I didn't mean you. It's great that people ask, and I want you to have the most accurate answer. I just wish that when something has been discussed 20 times over the past two years and history shows one thing as true, the opposite isn't repeated to those who ask the questions...

dmp

ps, regardless of whether it's a qualifier, best of luck! Going to Winchester this year?

Planning on Winchester, enjoyed it last year!

Back