30th Q: The PERFECT Beef - Lemon Peppered Xmas Brisket H&F 5H30 - Aaron, TASTE THIS! [w/ pr0n]

This is not your pork!

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Due to the pavilion gone kaput, I had to pause for more than two weeks, and because I could not stand it any more, I finally had to give Smokey a new temporary home.

So here we go again, starting with the breast core of a young Austrian bull with the weight of 12.90 lbs. This time it was left completely untrimmed, as there was no part with more than about 1/4" of surface fat.

01_brisket_12_90_lbs_zps87718329.jpg

Smokey had to give it all, which meant a full chimney of lemon lump to get things started

02_lemon_lump_chimney_zpsa4999e39.jpg

Minion style for H&F with a single piece of mesquite buried in the center of a full charcoal ring. All intakes fully opened for the entire cook it peaked at 426°F, which is a new record for my WSM.

03_minion_zps5aa1f66f.jpg

A new batch of our 'Essence of Q' sauce onto the lower grate directly under the brisket to catch some juices as the special ingredient

04_essence_of_q_zps24534d42.jpg

Lemon peppered brisket on upper grate

05_lemon_peppered_zpsf214bcee.jpg

Hitting IT 165°F meant foiling in 50:50 Worchestershire Sauce + Water

06_it_165_zps9126c980.jpg

Overview of the new temporary cooking area. Smokey is now below the carport, instead of the lowest deck of the gardens.

07_overview_zps66723c3c.jpg

It took a total of 5 hours and 30 minutes to hit IT 203°F in the flat, then it went straight into the oven at 200°F for resting. This is how it looked after unfoiling:

08_after_resting_zps18e06127.jpg

And back into the oven at max. grill for re-crisping

09_after_recrisping_zps2c5377e4.jpg

Of course there was freshly baked self-made rye bread

10_rye_zps40b6b2f3.jpg

Well, I present THE brisket smoked to perfection!

Moving the cutting board made it wobble like jelly, exactly as seen on the videos about Aaron's briskets. It was super juicy with a crispy spicy bark, perfect deep red smoke ring, and the tissue was just strong enough to make it into your mouth to melt there like butter! It was incredible, although a little on the fatty side, the melting tissue and buttery fat, as well as the four pepper blend with a good amount of lemon zest made it beef from heaven!

Let the following pictures water your mouth:

11_beef_closeup_zps1d4a943c.jpg

12_beef_closeup_zpsbe0807e5.jpg

13_beef_closeup_zps7da6f7c8.jpg

14_beef_closeup_zpsc294f905.jpg

15_beef_closeup_zpsdf2cccb1.jpg

16_beef_closeup_zps4027e637.jpg

17_beef_closeup_zpsb5bb3b13.jpg

Your 'Essence of Q' sauce with a nice viscid consistency after a real good reduction from being in the smoker for the entire duration of the cook

18_essence_of_q_zpsddd56f16.jpg

And that's what my plate looked like

19_beef_with_sauce_and_rye_on_plate_zps4cd2806a.jpg

Happy Farking Christmas to all you Farkers out there! :biggrin:

That view off of the back of your house looks pretty nice as well.
Yes, you can see the other side of the wooded valley our hillside estate is located in. It's nice here at the edge of the city, fresh air, lots of wood (unfortunately only softwood), and now even Smokey has a roof that can not be destroyed by weather, maybe I just should keep it there, it's a lot easier not having to walk down to the lowest deck of the gardens when cooking.

That Brisky looks awesome. Quick question: You say that after foiling, you went straight to oven at 200? If so, how long did you hold it there, and my real question: Did your bark firm back up? I've foiled a few times, but the bark really seems to suffer as a result, and never seems to recover to the "chewy" texture I like. Thanks.

No, it got foiled at IT 165°F, then back on the smoker at max heat till IT 203°F, then straight into the oven at 200°F for resting. It stayed there for several hours. The bark has been re-crisped by putting it back into the oven unfoiled at max grill for a short time.

We just ate it for dinner again, cold, sliced thin, on the self-made rye bread coated with the 'Essence of Q' sauce. Man, what a treat, it's even better served cold!

Still melding in my mouth, the fat, the muscle, it's so ultra tender. :smile:

That is a nice brisket and a well done cook. And no doubt hot and fast. I would leave it there, that looks like a great place to cook for the winter.

Back