Best lump charcoal

Humphreys, Wicked Good or Royal Oak. All good.

Royal Oak varies in quality depending where you live. The Royal Oak in my town is made up of recycled plywood, has un-carbonized pieces, is not let in the Kiln long enough, smells a little funny and sparks when you hit it with the Looftlighter.

mapleleafcharcoal.gif

There are more small pieces than I would like some times; boy does she smell great.

+1 on Nature Glow. I get the 40# bag at Berger Bros., a charcoal distributer in Chicago, for about $20. :cool:

That's a great deal. Is it open to the public? I may have to stop there on my next trip to the city.

bag49s.jpg

Per NW: "[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]As for burntime, this charcoal set a new Whiz world record, burning longer than any charcoal we have ever tested. Longer than Brassiero, longer than Kamado extruded coconut. The ash produced in our test burn was very low."

And it's local and plentiful :clap2:
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Wow, what a great review. What stores in your area carry it?

True Cue from HD. It's very heavy and it's a beotch to light but has nice smell and "smoky". I only use it for low n slows.

Maple Leaf is best but I use Grove exclusively for lump.

That's a great deal. Is it open to the public? I may have to stop there on my next trip to the city.

Yes, but they have odd hours and only take cash. Last time I checked it was something like Mon - Fri 8-4.

You go in a door, tell the guys at the counter what you want, and they bring it out to your car or truck on a forklift.

I usually tip the driver. It's an interesting place.

Wow, what a great review. What stores in your area carry it?

It's carried by almost all Piggly Wiggly stores.
I find it in almost all the smaller hardware and butcher shops in town:
Karls Country Market
Bunzels Meat Market
Blairs True Value
etc, etc
There is even a small comic book shop in my town that carries it.

Karls had it on sale this week for $7.99 for a 20 lb bag . .I bought 200 lbs worth:clap2:

I have to agree with Maple Leaf, if you don't mind the smaller pieces. The smell is heavenly, you never find any crap in your bag and it burns clean. You do get some nice big pieces but many small ones as well. When I get tired of the "crumbs", I buy Basques maple sugar lump. A lot less small pieces, some pretty huge ones and a very good smell too, maybe just a bit more rough.

It may not be the best lump, but B&B oak lump is pretty dependable. Never seen a petrified creature, or chunk of cement in it either. Smells like you're burning oak splits.

I prefer Humphrey. Best combo of heat and burn time that I've seen. I thought RO was a little too ashy. I've also seen some clay/rocks in a few of the RO bags I've had.

Maple Leaf lump.

Can't get it in the States anymore (I don't think), but I ordered a couple of bags once, and it was like being in heaven when you burned it. Made only of Maple, Beech, and Birch.

Best.Lump.Ever.

Interesting, I walk by this stuff every time I'm at the BBQ store and never thought about trying it. It's 20 bucks a bag but I might try it next time I need to grill something.

http://www.bbqs.com/charcoal-room-c-135.html

B&B, any variety (around here, you can get oak, hickory, pecan, mesquite at different times) or RO when it's available. Sometimes the little grocery store in Brookshire sells it for $3 per 10 pound bag. I usually top off the basket with a couple of mesquite chunks from Academy since my offset is somewhat hard to get up to temp. (It's better since I put the high-temp silicone around the smoke chamber door.)

Cowboy is the worst crap on the market.

For lump, I'm using Whole Food's brand. Got about 30 bags when it was on sale. Using it as a blend with my KB briquettes.

wicked good is wicked good. wicked pricey too. i moved from that to royal oak from RD, which is very similar in flavor and burn, however, now i use stubbs for ease(no sorting)stability and longevity.

Inspired by this discussion, I stopped at Berger Bros today and picked up 120 lbs. of Nature Glo. $64 including tax.

Back