MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
Dirt Road BBQ
Got Wood.

Default How much meat to feed 100-125 people

I've been asked to barbecue for our HOA picnic. They are expecting between 100 and 125 people. I will be responsible for the meat and then it will be potluck for sides and desserts. I was thinking I would need 4-5 14lbs briskets and 6 8lbs pork butts. They may also want ribs. I have the capacity to cook all 3 types of meat, but just don't know for sure what quantities I need of each.

Thanks for your help!

Ryan
Dirt Road BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
Terry Knife
Knows what a fatty is.

My math (which I am still learning) figures you would be feeding a 1/2 pound of delish to each person...

Unless the HOA is the Hearty Overeaters of America; this seems a bit high.

*Edited for smiley content
Old 08-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Is it a "serve yourself" type deal? Because I normally can get 18-24 pulled pork sammiches when smoking an 8lb butt. However, that's using the regular sized buns, not the huge, seeded variety.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 08-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
Dirt Road BBQ
Got Wood.

Yes, it will be a serve yourself meal. They're not really sure how many people will attend. We have almost 200 homes in our neighborhood, but historically they've only had about 100+ attend. This year they've pushed it back later in the year, so we will have cooler weather in the hopes we will get better attendance. I would rather err on the side of too much meat, than too little.
Dirt Road BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug View Post
Yes, it will be a serve yourself meal. They're not really sure how many people will attend. We have almost 200 homes in our neighborhood, but historically they've only had about 100+ attend. This year they've pushed it back later in the year, so we will have cooler weather in the hopes we will get better attendance. I would rather err on the side of too much meat, than too little.

Yeah, if it is a serve yourself type setup I'd definitely err on the side of too much meat. Our cul-de-sac had a block party earlier in the summer and we had crawfish, hamburgers and the all the sides. It was a serve yourself type setup. I had this funny feeling we needed to buy about ten more pounds of crawfish and several more burgers. Well thank goodness we did because you're always going to have "that family" who has one or two teenage boys or the entire family who simply piles food on their plate.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling

Last edited by Bamabuzzard; 08-12-2011 at 09:58 AM..
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug View Post
I've been asked to barbecue for our HOA picnic. They are expecting between 100 and 125 people. I will be responsible for the meat and then it will be potluck for sides and desserts. I was thinking I would need 4-5 14lbs briskets and 6 8lbs pork butts. They may also want ribs. I have the capacity to cook all 3 types of meat, but just don't know for sure what quantities I need of each.

Thanks for your help!

Ryan
125 at 1/3lb per = 42 lbs raw x 2 = 84 lbs of each meat. Using this formula you'll have plenty.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->