MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Default Small Leg Quarters for turn in???

I've been thinking about this for a while. Suppose I got three very young chickens(I can get 2lb dressed birds)

And I cut the leg quarters and cooked them. I should be able to fit six in the box easily. They should also be pretty symetrical due to the fact that they will come from only three birds. This should make for a really nice presentation. Plus I think that leg quarters cook up juicier than thighs or drums alone.

Anybody think the judges would freak? I cant see why they would. Its the two most common chicken turn ins just together.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
4 smokin butts
Full Fledged Farker

we did this once only seperated them,turned in 6 legs,6 thighs,did extremely well
4 smokin butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
AZScott
Take a breath!

Give it a go. We did this with cornish game hens one time.
AZScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
jrbBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Like this? I've done it a couple time, the scores were pretty inconsistant. Appearance with this one was 8,9,8,7,7,9

Old 06-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

My half chickens do better than my thighs, my wife keeps trying to convince me to go all "Pablo Diablo" and figure out a way to slice the breast and insert the leg, thigh and wing into something symmetrical.

I've done it for "anything but" with a different chicken recipe and it has won / worked, but I'm a bit leery about trying it for a turn in.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I'd go with the cornish game hens if you are gonna try that....but would definitely watch that the white meat doesn't dry out.
KCBS CBJ & TC #55078
IBCA #2570
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

I like your leg box. Looks lots better than the last one I turned in, which didn't fare well. At least the pieces look like they came from a real animal, not like marshmallow puffs w/ sauce. On your grill marks, I would like to see some color, meaning more flavor.Also figure a way to get seasoning left in glaze to be more even. As long as the taste and texture was killer, I'd be temtped to try those again.Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
gmholler
Full Fledged Farker

I judged a box like you're describing this past weekend in Baton Rouge. I liked the ease that it came out of the box with when I took a piece, and there wasn't all that much sauce on it, so it wasn't messy, but apparently I took a bite in just the wrong place. I was shooting for the top of the leg, right next to where it joins the thigh. I bit into it, and all this juice squirted out, all over one leg of my shorts! Needless to say, I didn't exactly keep my composure and a straight face as that hot liquid hit my skin! The judges around me got a good laugh, tho...

Lynn H.
gmholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmholler View Post
I judged a box like you're describing this past weekend in Baton Rouge. I liked the ease that it came out of the box with when I took a piece, and there wasn't all that much sauce on it, so it wasn't messy, but apparently I took a bite in just the wrong place. I was shooting for the top of the leg, right next to where it joins the thigh. I bit into it, and all this juice squirted out, all over one leg of my shorts! Needless to say, I didn't exactly keep my composure and a straight face as that hot liquid hit my skin! The judges around me got a good laugh, tho...

Lynn H.
Please do not tell me you judged down on that did you?
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
jrbBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbbqguy View Post
I like your leg box. Looks lots better than the last one I turned in, which didn't fare well. At least the pieces look like they came from a real animal, not like marshmallow puffs w/ sauce. On your grill marks, I would like to see some color, meaning more flavor.Also figure a way to get seasoning left in glaze to be more even. As long as the taste and texture was killer, I'd be temtped to try those again.Steve.
Thanks, I'm not trying to hijack Q-dat's thread, I was just giving him an example of what I've tried and the kinda of apperance scores it recieved. I appreciate the commoents though! There are so many ways to bulid a chicken box with different kinds of meat and combinations. I'm struggling with it, but I've only done 3 competitions. I'm thinking I'm gonna need to take a competition class at the end of the year.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #11
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

I think that makes for a nice presentation. Assuming your taste and tenderness are excellent, the appearance score would not suffer, in my opinion.

However, heed the advise above regarding your grill marks, etc.

But yeah - I think it would fly very nicely with the judges.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #12
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbBBQ View Post
Thanks, I'm not trying to hijack Q-dat's thread, I was just giving him an example of what I've tried and the kinda of apperance scores it recieved. I appreciate the commoents though! There are so many ways to bulid a chicken box with different kinds of meat and combinations. I'm struggling with it, but I've only done 3 competitions. I'm thinking I'm gonna need to take a competition class at the end of the year.

Those look really good to me. I doubt that your inconsistent scores had anything to do with them being leg quarters and not thighs alone. Probably some color preferences between judges on the sauce, and the skin.

Were those cornish or just small chickens?
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #13
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

What are these "grill marks" I hear bantered about? I've seen very few pics of the "perfect bite through skin" that has a grill mark.

I see a geometrically un-natural shape, typcially with a slathered in honey golden brown hue. But these "beautiful" boxes typcially don't have a grill mark.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #14
parrdist
Full Fledged Farker

I like the look. How was the skin?

Old 06-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #15
gmholler
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Pulin' Pork View Post
Please do not tell me you judged down on that did you?
Of course not. I picked the wrong area to take a bite from; that's *my* problem - the cooker couldn't have forseen that. Any "normal" person would've most likely tried the thigh, anyway...

Lynn H.
gmholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->