MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
PorkDork
On the road to being a farker

Default UDS: Oven Cleaner and the Red Lining of DOOM!

So what's the verdict on using oven cleaner to get rid of the red liner for a UDS. I've searched all 56,405,203 pages of the UDS thread and there's not much of a consensus. Does it work???
PorkDork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

I doubt it would work. You're going to have to use a wire wheel on it and do some burn outs. Another option might be to find somewhere to get it sandblasted.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Get a Harbor Freight weed burner and just burn out the liner. You do it from the outside until it turns black and then back pink. Then pressure wash it out. Takes about 1-1/2 hour start to finish.. Trust me. I have done 6 of them in the last 2 months.

Incidentally, it will take a full tank of propane to get it done.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2011, 12:07 AM   #4
MG_NorCal

Those posts that I've seen say it works.
I'd be sure to use the heavy duty stuff, sodium hydroxide or lye is the key ingredient.
Maybe start with the lid and see how it goes. That stuff is very corrosive too so wash clean and try to season the metal real quick if you get it down to bare metal.
A bottle of lye made into a paste might cut down on the fumes, but of course be very careful and use heavy gloves and don't breathe the stuff.
And have somewhere to dump the caustic wash water.
Could be a lot of trouble - so you could just do like Marty says ^^^.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:49 AM   #5
PorkDork

Marty I don't have the resources for a weed burner, but how long do you have to burn the outside to get the liner off? Since I live in the city limits of a SMALL town, I wonder if I could just suspend the thing a few inches over a fire pit for a little while. You think that might work?

Old 05-19-2011, 12:53 AM   #6
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think if you can, get a bunch of scrap wood, Pallets etc and load it up and burn it all out. Drill your lower Intake holes first for airflow.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
flyweed
Got Wood.

man..you guys put too much work into get this red liner out...When I first built a UDS it had the red liner, and I tried the wire wheel, the grinder, the burnout, etc etc..and I can tell you they are all very labor and back breaking intensive.

Then I found a local company that does sand and bead blasting.....took them my drum and for $15.00 they bead blasted the entire red liner of death out in less than 10 minutes.

Dan

Old 05-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
lookwow
Knows what a fatty is.

You would be better off finding someone to sandblast it. Cost me $25 to have some blast it inside and out.
lookwow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
PorkDork

I'm in a town of 13k and I'm not sure we've got anyone here that can do it. I worked over the lid last night with a wire wheel and it took me a good 30 minutes and there is still little specks of red on it.
I'm going to try and find a media blaster in town today and if I don't have any luck I'll try oven cleaner and post my results.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
flyweed
Got Wood.

you should be able to find someone there who can do it...man I'm in a town of only 6,000 and I found someone...just call around to paint and body shops, and they'll know of someone who does it.

Dan

Old 05-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #11
martyleach

They wanted a hundred bucks to sandblast it here because that is not just paint..

you've got to get the temp up over a thousand degrees. the steel almost turns red before the paint completely burns off.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #12
lookwow
Knows what a fatty is.

wow 100 is a lot of money for sandblasing it. I stopped buy while the guy was going to do some other stuff. took him about 20 mins to blast it all off on my drum.
lookwow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #13
feltrider99

I used a can of non-toxic citrus paint stripper that I got at Wal-Mart. It worked amazingly well. Sprayed it on, let it sit for an hour or so and then wiped it off (and off came all the lining). I wish I would have tried that on the drum itself....might have saved me a lot of the fun of climbing inside the barrel with the angle grinder.
feltrider99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #14
Big_Alvin
Full Fledged Farker

my son in law works at a body shop and is sandblasting the red liner out of 4 barrels for me for $50 - the cost of the blasting sand or whatever medium they use.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #15
martyleach

I have tried multiple different types of paint remover. Haven't found one yet that even dents that red food liner......

Tags
citristrip, cleaner, liner, Oven, oven cleaner, stripper, uds