MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-23-2005, 02:04 PM   #1
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

Default KCBS Judging Class in Smyrna, TN

Thinking seriously about attending this class on 6/4. Has anybody else gone through one? The only competitions I've ever cooked at were MIM events and that was back in the early '90s. I've never been to a KCBS event but in my reading, it seems kinda like the same thing except MIM is just pork and KCBS includes chicken and brisket. And it looks like KCBS is just one turn in for blind judging instead of blind judging and 3 site judges like MIM. I'd really like to pull a team together and do some MIM events but it always ends the same way. I get a few people that are all pumped up about it until they realize there's more to it than just hanging out and drinking beer. So I think I'm going to try and do a KCBS event with just me and the wife. I was wanting to take this class to make sure I'm not missing anything. We have a competition here locally in Memphis on 6/10 and then some more around here in Ashland, MS and Pine Bluff, AR. Those last two are in September so I should be ready for those.

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team
Coldwater, MS (just south of Memphis)

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain
Weber Kettle One Touch Silver
rbinms33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2005, 03:57 PM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

The class is definately worthwhile. I'm FBA certified and if there ever comes a chance for KCBS I'll get it too.

Getting a working team is a problem -- it has nothing to do with the sanctioning body! Find one or two guys that will commit and go for it.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2005, 04:14 PM   #3
icemn62
Babbling Farker

I seem to be under the impression that there are quite a few Brothers here who have taken the class and certified to judge .

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2005, 04:17 PM   #4
BrooklynQ
Banned

I'm KCBS certified, as is a lot of other folks here. It's a slightly different ball game then MIM, more meats, garnish and no entertaining of judges. One of the nice things about getting cert'd was meeting a bunch of other yankees that are serious about BBQ.

And Chad is right - getting the team together is the hardest part. Hang out at a couple of comps and see who you meet up with. I met Phil and Gred at one and wond up cooking with Phil and Dave in New Jersey.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2005, 05:52 PM   #5
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

That's two of the main reasons I want to go. To meet other people who like doing the same thing and to figure out the rules. Like the whole garnish thing, we didn't put any garnish in the trays in MIM. We did dress up the grill with pineapple, lettuce, apples and oranges to make it look good. I suppose I just want to learn the differences though.

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain

Old 05-23-2005, 06:23 PM   #6
Solidkick

I think I would think about adding another person or two to help share the load of the work. I think two people could do it, depending on what type of cooker you were using. Still, to guarantee a couple of hours of rest for the big hour and a half turn in push, or having someone fresh for presentations would be a huge asset to you.

I hope you are able to make it to the KCBS judging classes. I think maybe we'll try to hit one in the next year ourselves.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2005, 07:07 PM   #7
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Richie,
You have a good plan started.
May I suggest that you go to the Judging class and then GO JUDGE.
The class is one thing--getting in there and tasting the variety of entries and learning from the other judges is where you really really learn what flavors, textures, and presentations score well.
From that, you can determine your cooking goals and then it is just a matter of doing it.
Simply going to the class is a start--but really judging is where you learn the bulk of the information you need.
At least, that has been my experience so far.

Dig around in the Comp section postings and you will see a lot from competetors and judges that will help point the way.

Have fun--once you are hooked--it is all over
Chad calls it "The Dark Side"--for a reason

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2005, 11:25 AM   #8
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

Yeah, that was the plan. One of the things with this class is that you're invited back in two weeks to judge the Backyard Masters event at the TN Heritage BBQ Festival. There's another event here in Memphis though on June 11 that I was going to see if I could participate and get some experience. Or if nothing else, just go and watch. That's the plan for now. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain

Old 06-20-2005, 01:43 PM   #9
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

I never did post a followup regarding this class. It was a lot of fun and very worthwhile. Learned a lot, ate a lot and met some really nice folks. Whole lots of people with different backgrounds. Some were competition cookers, some were wanting to get into the competition side of things, some were husband/wife teams looking for a hobby and some just wanted to eat. One thing that was pretty cool is I got a copy of the KCBS Bullsheet. This is a pretty good little publication. Lots of neat stuff in there.

I still believe that these are the competitions that I'd like to do. I didn't get to go to that competition here in Memphis last weekend but I am planning on doing the Backyard thing in the competition in Ashland, MS or Pine Bluff, AR or maybe both of them. Bad thing is that they are back to back weekends so that might be tight. But I figure entering the backyard event will help me get my feet wet.

If anyone ever has the opportunity to go to one of these classes, I would highly recommend it. Lots to learn, lots of good people to meet and best of all, a lot of good food to eat.

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain

Old 06-20-2005, 01:53 PM   #10
chad

When you start even thinking about doing back-to-back events you are hearing Darth Que in the background inviting you over to the "dark side" :D "Feel the force Richie!"

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2005, 05:32 PM   #11
Solidkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad
When you start even thinking about doing back-to-back events you are hearing Darth Que in the background inviting you over to the "dark side" :D "Feel the force Richie!"
Amen to what Decon Chad said, Amen!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2005, 08:04 AM   #12
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

I just realized that nearly everyone at the Bash this weekend, will be a certified judge, right down to Phils Mother in Law.

Congrats Richie, I too enjoyed it and look forward to judging next month.

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote