Looking for Texas Hot Links

The Virginian

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
2 years ago at the American Royal a member of the bbqbrethren team gave me and my teammate some texas sausages that were fantabulous. I am looking for recommendations on good Texas sausage that is available online. The particular sausage in question was a hot link with jalapenos, but I am open to suggestion.

Brett

I have made and enjoy these. No Jalapeno, but no reason they can't be added I suppose...

BigWheels Texas Hot Links

5 pounds coarse ground pork butt
2 pounds coarse ground beef
1 cup cold water
2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons hungarian paprika
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
1 teaspoon whole anise seeds
1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
1 teaspoon corriander
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon ground thyme
6 teaspoons mortons tender quick
1/2 teaspoon msg

Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the water and place in refrigerator while you grind the meats. Mix up the meats then add the water to the meat mixture a little at a time, kneading to combine. Run meat mixture through the coarse plate one more time and stuff into medium hog casings. Smoke or slow grill till they are done.

2 years ago at the American Royal a member of the bbqbrethren team gave me and my teammate some texas sausages that were fantabulous. I am looking for recommendations on good Texas sausage that is available online. The particular sausage in question was a hot link with jalapenos, but I am open to suggestion.

Brett

Hey Brett, that was Jorge and his stash of OPA sausage most likely. Agreed great stuff!

http://www.kreuzmarket.com/sausage.shtml

The list their jalapeno links. $1.80 per link minimum of 10. Not sure about the shipping.

Or google Shulenburg sausage. Many of them ship their sausages.

As mentioned OPA's is good and can be found in many supermarkets, HEB for sure.

I have made and enjoy these. No Jalapeno, but no reason they can't be added I suppose...

BigWheels Texas Hot Links

5 pounds coarse ground pork butt
2 pounds coarse ground beef
1 cup cold water
2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons hungarian paprika
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
1 teaspoon whole anise seeds
1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
1 teaspoon corriander
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon ground thyme
6 teaspoons mortons tender quick
1/2 teaspoon msg

Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the water and place in refrigerator while you grind the meats. Mix up the meats then add the water to the meat mixture a little at a time, kneading to combine. Run meat mixture through the coarse plate one more time and stuff into medium hog casings. Smoke or slow grill till they are done.

Hey, serious question, a guy like you should be using Praugue 1. When MTQ and MSG. NTTAWWT Easier for you to get? Of course, looking at your ratios, they look right as far as compared to the SN ratio in praugue 1.

Now that's just wrong!! Now I'm hungry!!:icon_pissedlol

the tiny slice of brisket musta been complimentary. I like that. One of my favorite traditions up off in ct. was Ilianos Pizza that gave you a little slice of pizza as you walked in or if you waited too long.

That's just how the recipe was. It's not mine, that's why I gave credit. It's an old recipe, I think we've all seen it a million times. I think I only posted it to get a +1 on my post count!:biggrin: It's the hot link recipe I enjoy. Besides, someday soon we will all learn of the strange magical powers of good caused by MSG!

DIvaQ's right - those jap sausages and the Big Chops are the stars at Coopers.

I'm the guilty party, Brett.

Julie and Chris were right, and Julie had the right link. Say hi to Andy for me next time you talk to him.

Thanks

Thanks to all and especially Jorge for introducing me to those memorable sausages. Time to order! Maybe I will bring a few to Salisbury in April!

Brett

Back