• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Bradley smoker*** yuck!

RAYSOR

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I bought a Bradley elect smoker about 6 months ago with a digital timer, the unit works as described except everything tastes terrible, I have cooked many things with lots of different pits, and this one is the pits!Everything tastes very tough and very strong smoke, almost like some king of artificial chemical taste, tried 4 different times and gave away, I posted this after I read some views on the Taegers, I do not know but I am thinking I am going to stay clear for now.

I bought a Bradley elect smoker about 6 months ago with a digital timer, the unit works as described except everything tastes terrible, I have cooked many things with lots of different pits, and this one is the pits!Everything tastes very tough and very strong smoke, almost like some king of artificial chemical taste, tried 4 different times and gave away, I posted this after I read some views on the Taegers, I do not know but I am thinking I am going to stay clear for now.

.........I'm not sure what this has to do with Traegers, but I will assure you your talking apples and bananas between the two, Traegers work.

Not jut apples and bananas...

More like Meat and Vegetables.

my father in laws bradley works great. never had a bad experience.

Is it because you are used to eating real BBQ cooked over live coals?
If so, those pellet ovens and electric ovens with smoke added are never going to satisfy you.
You should start with electric, move to gas, then a pellet pooper, then an offset, then finally after your taste buds have developed a taste for truth, you should build a drum or some other type of true BBQ pit.

:-D I'm just saying; electric, gas, pellets, it's like training wheels getting you ready to be a real pitmaster.

I would say that is a delusion. I have been on both sides, pellets and stick burner, I strongly prefer the pellet popper.

A bad cook will always blame his pits. Stick burners, pellet poopers, drums, and even puck eaters: I have had good and bad Q from them all. The difference: the guy working the cooker.

Okay, the single most important thing that makes one a true pit master is being able to control fire and smoke almost flawlessly. If you remove that from the equation, you are just cooking meat in an oven.

It's like this, In golf, everyone tees off from the same tee. They choose different clubs, different tee heights, different stances, even different spots on the tee. They have to take into account wind direction, etc.
What if tomorrow, they began allowing the use of that hitting machine off the tee? All the golfer had to do was walk up, plug it in and hit a button. Wouldn't that take all of the skill out of it? Any jerk who read the rule book could go out and using this piece of equipment, perform almost as good as the pros? The pros would still win because of experience but would this be fair?

To top it all off, the game would be dumbed down as a result. The pros would start going the easy way and pretty soon, all we'd have would be a best dressed golfer contest?

I'm just saying... :-D

Wow, Hugh. Dumbed down? Ovens?
Last I checked, the AR was won by a guy using a pellet pooper. One of the most respected teams in Competition Q as a matter of fact. It is simply pit management. PERIOD.

Consistency is the key. Pellet poopers aren't as "set and forget" as most would like to pitch.

Speaking for myself, I "tend fire" very well. Like I said a delusion. I am afraid tending a fire is not rocket science, not even close. The "only" difference is, I don't have to spend my entire day or night, or both jacking with a fire. I would say that is only NOT dumb, but very smart.

Speaking for myself, I "tend fire" very well. Like I said a delusion. I am afraid tending a fire is not rocket science, not even close. The "only" difference is, I don't have to spend my entire day or night, or both jacking with a fire. I would say that is only NOT dumb, but very smart.

That my friend is a delusion, there are vast differences in the different cooking styles. Different bark, different taste, differences in the way meats cook, drying out of the meat, the list goes on. I agree a lot of it is personal preference. A lot of people have never had truly great authentic BBQ so they have nothing to compare it to except Applebee's or Tony Roma's.

To cook meat successfully over open fire, (no water pans, heat deflectors, etc.), is the ultimate goal of this addiction in my book. Everything else is just killing time along the way. Or done strictly for convenience instead of pursuit of the holy of grail of BBQ. :-D

Wow, Hugh. Dumbed down? Ovens?
Last I checked, the AR was won by a guy using a pellet pooper. One of the most respected teams in Competition Q as a matter of fact. It is simply pit management. PERIOD.

Consistency is the key. Pellet poopers aren't as "set and forget" as most would like to pitch.

Really, I'm not talking about competitive cooking. I understand there are huge differences in backyard cooking and competition. There have also been plenty of competitions won by folks using drums.

I can cook good on a pooper too. I have used my friends at the fishing camp quite a few times. It's great to set in the morning and go up the river and float down. Don't have to worry about a thing, except the occasional jam. We will be retiring it as soon as we get a drum down there though. :-D

Maybe my tongue is just rather partial to the cancer causing compounds caused by the fat sizzling on the coals. :lol:

That my friend is a delusion, there are vast differences in the different cooking styles. Different bark, different taste, differences in the way meats cook, drying out of the meat, the list goes on. I agree a lot of it is personal preference. A lot of people have never had truly great authentic BBQ so they have nothing to compare it to except Applebee's or Tony Roma's.

To cook meat successfully over open fire, (no water pans, heat deflectors, etc.), is the ultimate goal of this addiction in my book. Everything else is just killing time along the way. Or done strictly for convenience instead of pursuit of the holy of grail of BBQ. :-D
If this statement is true, you would dump all of your cookers. You would dig a hole in the ground. You would build a spit with logs, and hand crank til your pig is done.

Are you ready to do that? According to your statement, none of us is really barbecueing until this happens.

I would say your "book" is way off kilter. Holy grail of BBQ, that is funny, please, give me a break. Oh, I have not only had real BBQ, I have fixed real BBQ, and still do as far as that goes "my friend".

Nope, a drum, WSM, Kettle, Barrel Pit with separate burn barrel, open pit with spit or rack, hole in the ground with rack over, above ground cinder block pit with tin cover. All of these are cooking over live coals.

:-D I'm just saying; electric, gas, pellets, it's like training wheels getting you ready to be a real pitmaster.

The TRUTH has been spoken!

I couldn't agree more!
If ya ain't cooking with wood, you ain't BBQ'n.

You may be grillin' - you may be cooking with smoke flavor added, but you ain't BBQ'n.

That being said - everyone has their own definition of what BBQ is.

In my world, if ya using; electric,gas, pellets - whatever - you are just substituting for the real thing.

BBQ = Meat (Pork preferably) cooked low & slow over wood

Anything else is just grilling or cooking

Back