MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:42 PM   #1
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Default Slow N Sear Kamado

I'm not sure if anybody is interested in this or not but at the HPBExpo (a bbq related trade show I mentioned in a previous thread) I had a chance to talk to David Parrish (the guy who invented the Slow N Sear and a friend of mine.) He gave us a walk through of all the features and accessories of his new kamado.

I'm a little gun shy posting this because of how the youtube trolls came after me last time. Just to be clear, these EXPO videos aren't sponsored. In fact, I paid a lot of money to go to that trade show and the reason I went was to find cool new stuff to video and show it to you guys. I hope you like this one. I just think it's fun to see new stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjjm...ature=youtu.be

The next one is a conversation with the guy who blew up the Blaze Kamado with tannerite. lol. I hope to have that up later this week.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xxVThreVc"] Brisket Throwdown: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill vs 2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe. [/URL]
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2019, 08:00 PM   #2
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

I find it weird that anyone would attack you for posting something like this. I enjoyed the video and I thank you for posting it. I probably wouldn't be kicking down any doors to buy that grill. Especially at the $1500 price tag I've seen it listed at. It would have been cool to be at that expo to check all of that stuff out though.
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-02-2019, 08:08 PM   #3
Fishwater2002
Full Fledged Farker

I have to say after seeing your interview I’m impressed & semi interested in this one now. The thread on Kamado specific site was negative (IMO) so I didn’t look into this cooker but seeing it here has brought a new perspective. So in other words, thanks!

Old 04-02-2019, 08:56 PM   #4
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks for the video. From what I can see, it looks like a customized Auplex product with a number of top end upgrades over the cheaper grills from them, plus the SnS products and grate system.

IMHO The pricing is too close to the KJ Big Joe which is a couple inches bigger and has some significant advantages including the low weight hinge and the better gasket. Or for less, the Costco Pit Boss/Louisiana kamado (also Auplex) plus a CGS adjustable rig and spider, and gasket upgrade will do as much or more for under $1000.

The other issue is do you really need or want a SnS in a kamado? Standard kamados already do super slow sub 200 to super hot 1200+ searing very well.

It looks like a nice product and overall well thought out, just not sure where it fits in a crowded market.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:59 PM   #5
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

NOTHING against you Justin, I ain’t a whotube troll, and I don’t even have a whotube account. That being said, the cooker is beautiful, but he lost me at ceramic...

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2019, 04:16 AM   #6
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Thanks for the video/info Justin.
I'll skip my thoughts why I don't think it is a great product.

Because of their name I'm sure they will sell quite a few.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2019, 08:50 AM   #7
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist View Post
I find it weird that anyone would attack you for posting something like this. I enjoyed the video and I thank you for posting it. I probably wouldn't be kicking down any doors to buy that grill. Especially at the $1500 price tag I've seen it listed at. It would have been cool to be at that expo to check all of that stuff out though.
It was a really fun couple of days. I was surprised how many companies were there.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xxVThreVc"] Brisket Throwdown: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill vs 2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe. [/URL]

Old 04-03-2019, 08:55 AM   #8
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwater2002 View Post
I have to say after seeing your interview I’m impressed & semi interested in this one now. The thread on Kamado specific site was negative (IMO) so I didn’t look into this cooker but seeing it here has brought a new perspective. So in other words, thanks!
My pleasure man. I love stuff like this.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:22 AM   #9
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Looks and sounds great Some interesting features Thanks for the video You do a great job I think I will stick with my Large BGE
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2019, 09:28 AM   #10
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-fine View Post
Thanks for the video. From what I can see, it looks like a customized Auplex product with a number of top end upgrades over the cheaper grills from them, plus the SnS products and grate system.

IMHO The pricing is too close to the KJ Big Joe which is a couple inches bigger and has some significant advantages including the low weight hinge and the better gasket. Or for less, the Costco Pit Boss/Louisiana kamado (also Auplex) plus a CGS adjustable rig and spider, and gasket upgrade will do as much or more for under $1000.

The other issue is do you really need or want a SnS in a kamado? Standard kamados already do super slow sub 200 to super hot 1200+ searing very well.

It looks like a nice product and overall well thought out, just not sure where it fits in a crowded market.
yeah, I thought it was Auplex kamado too but it's not. He went with a different company. He actually changed pretty much everything about the cooker except what it looks like in pictures...which is ironic because pretty much the only input I had on this was "make it look unique...something people can immediately appreciate in pictures." (He never listens to me. lol.) The reason I suggested that is I've had dozens of people over the years tell me they saw the summit for 399 at home depot. They didn't, they saw the Performer but it made me appreciate how important it is that this cookers have a distinct look.

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-03-2019, 10:03 AM   #11
TheFury
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Fury

I must say I'm tempted by this, mainly because I really want to find a way to add a slow n sear to my collection. But it's close enough to the price point of other, larger kamados (older KJBJ; WSC) that I don't see a unique value proposition here. But I'll reserve judgment until Justin posts a review video
TheFury is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #12
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
I must say I'm tempted by this, mainly because I really want to find a way to add a slow n sear to my collection. But it's close enough to the price point of other, larger kamados (older KJBJ; WSC) that I don't see a unique value proposition here. But I'll reserve judgment until Justin posts a review video
Lol. It looks like a much nicer cooker than pictures would indicate. The materials are top of the line. They wanted the best ceramic and the metal parts at 304 SS and again the size is bigger than the normal 18 inch Kamados. That said I don’t have one so I probably won’t do a formal review

Old 04-03-2019, 02:05 PM   #13
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
NOTHING against you Justin, I ain’t a whotube troll, and I don’t even have a whotube account. That being said, the cooker is beautiful, but he lost me at ceramic...
No worries man. Like I said I don’t care if it’s not your thing. Not every Cooker works for everybody. What gets me is when people accuse me of being a sellout because I am not disclosing taking money...when I’m not taking any.

I think I’ve done three sponsored videos on my channel. Maybe four. And I always disclose it. Nobody seems to care. Where I really get called the most names is when I don’t “admit I am taking money” on videos I’m not taking money for. It’s insanity. The real irony is when They go on and tell me about all of the other YouTuber‘s they like better Because they just do it “for the love of the game” and the guys they mentioned liking better are guys who are actually getting paid on everything they do and not disclosing it! Lol it’s crazy

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-03-2019, 02:14 PM   #14
HOBONICHOLBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Back Maniac View Post
No worries man. Like I said I don’t care if it’s not your thing. Not every Cooker works for everybody. What gets me is when people accuse me of being a sellout because I am not disclosing taking money...when I’m not taking any.

I think I’ve done three sponsored videos on my channel. Maybe four. And I always disclose it. Nobody seems to care. Where I really get called the most names is when I don’t “admit I am taking money” on videos I’m not taking money for. It’s insanity. The real irony is when They go on and tell me about all of the other YouTuber‘s they like better Because they just do it “for the love of the game” and the guys they mentioned liking better are guys who are actually getting paid on everything they do and not disclosing it! Lol it’s crazy

This is why I sometimes regret being able to see behind the curtain if you will. Knowing who is a shill and who really doesn't know how to cook etc ruins videos for me at times. That all being said, I can confirm Justin isn't a shill.
HOBONICHOLBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2019, 02:51 PM   #15
4ever3

Too many people concern themselves with other people’s business, they can pound sand!

Just do what you do Justin and pay ZERO attention to the distractors...

Pretty good chance they are jealous but they themselves aren’t willing to put in the work, so they choose to tear down those that do.

Let’em eat cake...

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Kamado, Slow 'N Sear, SNS kamado