Cooking frozen patties on an offset?

carl_694

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hey all,
Got asked to cook at a church event. They want me to cook a bunch of hamburger patties and hot dogs. I have a Shirley 24x60 offset and was thinking I could get temps up to 300 or so and be ok. I've read, however, that folks don't recommend the frozen patties, but I may have no choice. Should I be concerned? Dont want to disappoint 100 people.

Who is paying and supplying the meat? Frozen would work fine but fresh is obviously better. Smoked burgers are pretty awesome.

The church is paying for the meat. I am paying for the pork butts I'll be cooking the day before and reheating.

Can't speak to doing them on an offset but I do the 1/3 lb patties from Costco on a Weber kettle sometimes when I'm lazy or in a rush. I sear both sides first over the hot side then finish on low heat side. Brushing them with oil first helps prevent little pieces from sticking when you flip them.

Get some and practice ahead of time.

I dont see why it wouldnt work fine. Wont be the same texture as direct heat but 300* will certainly cook a frozen pattie to a safe-to-eat temperature. And still lightyears beyond a McBurger. :thumb:

We buy the Angus patties from Sam's in the tubes, they are perforated and it's recommend that they are put on the grill partially frozen. In a cabinet smoker @ 275° , I'll start about 40 on two shelves..... re-season in about 30 minutes and flip. Temp and serve.

Just a thought.
Start the patties in the main cooking chamber. 250-275*.
Have your cabinet part of your Shirley set up for higher heat. You should be able to get 350* or close to it.
Switch patties over to the cabinet after 10-15 mins to get a better crust and finish cooking.
Takes a bit to get a rhythm going. A second person would help alot.
I'm guessing everyone will love em. Smoked and a bit grilled.

Back