KC road trip

hmbrewr

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
DW and I just got back from a Road trip from Calif. to KC.Mo Tried all the big name joints. Arthur Bryants, Gates, and Oklahoma Joes. Our conclusion Arthur Bryants has the best pulled pork. I didn't care too much for their burnt ends. I did like the sweet heat sauce. Oklahoma Joes (which is actually in Kansas City Kansas) has the best ribs, pulled pork was good but not as good as AB's Gates was mediocre everything. Everyones brisket seemed on the dry side.The thing that really surprised me, was that none of the rib had the membrane removed. Also AB and Gates Ribs were spares while Oklahoma Joes were more of St. Louis style. It was great to get to Mecca, but our conclusion was none of the big names does anything better than we can do at home ourselves. So I guess beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

Sadly I have to agree. I had Gates last week and it was sub par. I do like Arthur Bryants but OK Joes is my favorite. Granted, I never get ribs from any of these places so I cannot comment on the membrane. You are correct in the statement that you can always do better at home.

When I lived there I wasn't horribly impressed with Gates and AB's. Really liked Okie Joes, but I've never included ribs in my BBQ samplings. Smokin Guns in North KC has the best burnt ends in Kansas City in my opinion.

I've lived in KC all my life and none of the big names compare to what a lot of my buddies can do (or me on my best day.) I'm an OK Joe's fan myself and really like their pulled pork, but it's been a while since I've had AB pulled pork so I might just have to see if my tastes have changed.:becky:

I would rather pass on the big name places and hit some of the smaller spots. Next time in town go to Smoke-n-Guns...great food

I always wonder why people expect restaurant Q to blow them away...no matter what city it's from.

I just went to savannah Georgia and researched some places. I was pointed to a few spots as 'the best' these places were tiny hole in the walls that were on little dirt side streets in the city. Looked more like I was on some road in Jamaica than in savannah. However when I arrived they were both closed!!! Not for good, just for vacation!

Here's a pic of the place and of the road it was on...remember this is in the middle of the city. Not in the suburbs.

ad446534-959b-0f12.jpg

ad446534-95b1-990f.jpg

So yes. When I asked for the best I wasnt lead to big names Haha. Too bad I couldn't taste 'the best'

Back