drum smokers under construction

Thosen drums sure look like they have a lining to me. I'd do a couple of big wood burns in the to get that off. Find a couple old pallets, cut em up and burn baby burn.

B

Even if it were to have a plastic lining which it doesn't, nothing wrong with plastic. I have seen many old refrigerators converted into smokers. The goal with these drum smokers is that the fire will never touch the sides of the drums, that is what the charcoal basket and ash pan is for. Also, the smoker will gather a seasoning on the walls of the smoker with age. Now if there were to be a big fire in the drum, I would be concerned with toxic paint and or plastic. That would also lead to the barrel rusting out sooner.

i took my weed burner to the outside of mine, sucka blasted off the paint and the lining in 15 minutes

I was also wondering about the lining, but if you're OK with it fine. It's really great to see the interest in the Ugly Drum Smoker evolving. I think I'm finished with building drums for the time being, and now have two 38" drums with dual cooking racks, and one 34" single rack, all with the original drum lids and Weber lids. Along with my WSM and the 3 UDS's I'll try to do a couple comps and have some fun with them. I took my ugliest drum to the Dr.BBQ Competition Cooking class this past weekend and had a blast with it! I'm a low budget putzer and don't really have any great aspirations to be a GC, just out for some fun and do some Q'n! Anyway I'm the Grand Champion in my own backyard!
Drum on my Brothers!

Brian

Tony, thanks for the insturctions, under the lip eh? Will try it.
I'm trying to see if I can make a lid out of a spare barrel...
I

Would the interior lining come off as easily with the weedburner? Just a thought.

oops, Me bad. I missed the reference to the lining. If I use the weed burner my neighbors will be happier I think.

Is the special at harbor freight still there for the burner with the switch? Or is the concensus to go with the simpler one? What btu's should I seek?

Thanks!

Chinafreight has several models. If you go online and the price is better, just print out the page and they will match the price. I think I paid $19 for a weed burner without the igniter, the ones with the igniter were $24.

I can't seed China frieght when I google it. Is there a special URL for it? Thanks!

It's called "Harbor Freight". It is low cost cause most of the items are from China. We just call it China Freight.

oops, Me bad. I missed the reference to the lining. If I use the weed burner my neighbors will be happier I think.

Is the special at harbor freight still there for the burner with the switch? Or is the concensus to go with the simpler one? What btu's should I seek?

Thanks!

There is something to be said for a weed burner with a long wand. Keeps you out of harms way not only from the flame and heat (especially in a drum), but keeps you farther from those little hotties of exploding lump when lighting. I have a 30" inch one, with just a needle valve for control. I also had them make a 15' hose. Your local LP dealer should have weed burners along with all the other propane goodies. They normally can make up any length of hose for you.

DSC02373.jpg

Quick connects are also available.

I had one of those little hotties explode and ended up with a blister on my upper and lower eyelid.....Ouch! Lump will do that to you. Briquettes probably wouldn't. I think it depends on the amount of moisture contained in the actual piece of charcoal/lump.

Therefore my advice would be to follow thirdeye's advice.

Tony,
I've been studying this quote
("The dozen red roses are from the lady on the third floor thanking you for the new ears!")
for quite awhile now and I give up.
Would you explain.....
ModelMaker
You may PM me if it's inappropriate for here!

Thanks everyone. Reminds me that of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!

I found that Northern Tool has a 10ft hose and a 27 in wand with the needle valve, all for $55.

I'm bad with being handy, so my charcoal basket is butt ugly. Just wondering where you got the metal for yours? Also how you were able to bend it so pretty? I had a hell of a time trying to bend mine. Perhaps mine was just too thick... Also could I get the name of what that metal is called so I don't look too stupid when I ask for it? I asked for expanded metal but home depot didn't know what I was talking about. Great looking drum btw, mine is butt ugly and it's starting to rust :(

Back