MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:03 AM   #31
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Dog BBQ View Post
I emailed them my thoughts. I am sure that doesn't mean anything but my own satisfaction.
I also e-mailed my thoughts to the BOD

Old 02-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #32
SirPorkaLot

Ford - You hit a nerve brother.

A breathalyzer, propane?

I can't think of a quicker way to screw up a good contest.

Let's outlaw alcohol, get rid of charcoal, wood fires and anything else that could be considered offensive.

We will all get our gas grills, wood chips in a foil pack & our green tea, and go pretend we are cooking BBQ.

Come on man! (ESPN mod)
Old 02-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #33
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

My comments in red. Any chance you'll be in Mobile, Little Rock or Hammond? Be glad to put a side bet on how we finish and I'm coning down to your neck of the woods for these contests not in the friendly confines of the midwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
See that's just it.

Most of us (read most of KCBS membership) does not have 10K to invest in a cooker, nor would we want to.

Speak for yourself. I see a large % of team with well over $10 k invested at contests these days and the % continues to go up.

It is the cook not the cooker....remember?

So who cares what people cook on. Unless you are threatened by cooks using gas because they may put out a better product and it would prove they were the better cook.

If you can't create great BBQ over an an open pit (read live fire) you shouldn't be in a BBQ contest anyways.

If you feel this way start your own BBQ association with these rules. Don't try to outlaw others to meet your standards.

And a WSM is not an open pit as it can be a smoldering pile of charcoal. Same for a Stumps, Backwoods and many other pits.

There are lot's of cooking competitions that use gas....ovens...BBQ shouldn't be one of them.

If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #34
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

In 2011 you will be able to pick your chicken turn in up at KFC.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #35
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
Ford - You hit a nerve brother.

A breathalyzer, propane?

I can't think of a quicker way to screw up a good contest.

Let's outlaw alcohol, get rid of charcoal, wood fires and anything else that could be considered offensive.

We will all get our gas grills, wood chips in a foil pack & our green tea, and go pretend we are cooking BBQ.

Come on man! (ESPN mod)
Many/most contests have a no alcohol policy but let it slide so long as teams are discrete and don't cause problems. Some are in public parks and as such are enforced by the local police dept and they have the right to arrest anybody with an open container.

Now I'm not saying don't drink but there's no need to get drunk. If that's why you go to a contest then fine with me, just means one less team I have to worry about at awards time.

But if a person is drunk using a WSM and knocks it over and start a fire I hope they throw the book at them. No reason for that to ever happen.

FYI i enjoy an adult beverage at a contest just don't see any reason to drink more that is allowed for driving. Cookers and cars can be dangerous when operated by a drunk. Designate a sober person to tend fire and the rest of the team can have fun just stay away from the fires.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #36
Divemaster

I was at the rules meeting....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
Propane and drunks -- that's a great mix.
Propane was brought up in the same conversation as pellets... It went something like...
"Should we allow propane? This could end up like a pellet discussion."

Vote was no. End of discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd26a View Post
That was a $hitty read. Propane? Really? And have to agree 100% with Todd, thanks for the hard work Paul, keep up the reporting
Yea, and you can thank Paul for the whole chicken conversation. He was the only one that was pushing it. Interesting how it ends up on the agenda when no one else was for it....

Yea, I feel REAL represented...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 02-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #37
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
Many/most contests have a no alcohol policy but let it slide so long as teams are discrete and don't cause problems. Some are in public parks and as such are enforced by the local police dept and they have the right to arrest anybody with an open container.

Now I'm not saying don't drink but there's no need to get drunk. If that's why you go to a contest then fine with me, just means one less team I have to worry about at awards time.

But if a person is drunk using a WSM and knocks it over and start a fire I hope they throw the book at them. No reason for that to ever happen.

FYI i enjoy an adult beverage at a contest just don't see any reason to drink more that is allowed for driving. Cookers and cars can be dangerous when operated by a drunk. Designate a sober person to tend fire and the rest of the team can have fun just stay away from the fires.
Would you get a BWI???

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #38
SirPorkaLot

Quote:
My comments in red. Any chance you'll be in Mobile, Little Rock or Hammond? Be glad to put a side bet on how we finish and I'm coning down to your neck of the woods for these contests not in the friendly confines of the midwest.
Yes - there are a lot of folks investing a lot of money in their rigs & cookers, but it is still a small percentage of the overall BBQ population.

KCBS is trying to be more inclusive (i think this is where the whole misguided propane thing originated), getting to a point that it would require 10s of thousands of dollars to be able to successfully compete will run a lot of people out of KCBS, not towards it.

It is not a matter of being scared - to me it is a matter of tradition, and the meaning of BBQ.

The one reason I am competing now is because it takes a minimal amount of money to get started and I enjoy getting calls on my inexpensive equipment, while teams with a 30K rig are sitting there pissed off that I am walking.

I truly wish someone would start an association that brings the tradition back to BBQ, and gets rid of all the ancillary crap.

I think KCBS would see a drop in membership if that was to happen.

Any rule setting or changing is always surrounded by posturing, complaining, and people that think they know a better way.

We are no different, but I for one will continue to compete and follow the rules, whatever they are, unless it gets to the point that the judges have become used to meat cooked in a 20K propane fueld rig, and won't score anything else well, because they think it tastes like wood smoke instead of flavorless propane.....

In which case I wll be glad competing is just a hobby and not a full time gig that I would be forced to get a second mortgage just to compete.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #39
SirPorkaLot

Quote:

If we ever happen to be at the same contest, you will recognize me.
I will be the tall, stocky hungover dude with the cheap equipment getting a higher call than you.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #40
goodsmokebbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
I was at the rules meeting....

Propane was brought up in the same conversation as pellets... It went something like...
"Should we allow propane? This could end up like a pellet discussion."

Vote was no. End of discussion.

Yea, and you can thank Paul for the whole chicken conversation. He was the only one that was pushing it. Interesting how it ends up on the agenda when no one else was for it....

Yea, I feel REAL represented...

All I can say is Ditto, neither of these things were wanted by the majority of folks at the meeting. I am a little confused...
goodsmokebbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #41
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Great - it took me 3 years to get close to figuring out thighs and now I may have do alter that? That would be a huge rule change that should not go into effect this year ... or ever for that matter. How many cooks were at the rules meeting and was it a fair representation of the KCBS cooks from across the nation?

The other rule changes don't bother me - some good, some bad, some indifferent. I'm taken back by allowing propane, but it doesn't bother me. I'd like to see turn in times stay standard unless a valid reason can be given otherwise (like maybe Murphysburo)
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #42
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
Great - it took me 3 years to get close to figuring out thighs and now I may have do alter that? That would be a huge rule change that should not go into effect this year ... or ever for that matter. How many cooks were at the rules meeting and was it a fair representation of the KCBS cooks from across the nation?

The other rule changes don't bother me - some good, some bad, some indifferent. I'm taken back by allowing propane, but it doesn't bother me. I'd like to see turn in times stay standard unless a valid reason can be given otherwise (like maybe Murphysburo)
Agree with Chicken - should do a vote as part of this falls election if they want this big a change. Ask non cooks to refrain from voting but we can't enforce it.

I don't care when turn in times are but have a real problem without knowing until the cooks meeting. Some people have specific timetables for marinating, injecting and if the time changes significantly it can impact their whole program. To me this is the single biggest impact to cooks.

As for propane, why not, we have every gadget and heat source but propane and electric and we could allow electric as well. If somebody brings in their Amana range and beats us they deserve to win. Would be pretty scary but it would happen to some teams.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #43
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

The one that caught my attention was:

Change to Rule 11
Judging typically starts at Noon on Saturday, but could vary at any contest.
Turn-in times will be announced at the Cooks Meeting.

Does this mean I can't be sure when the turn in times are until I attend a cooks meeting? Does this give the organizers an opporunity to change the turn in times at the last minute? I would rather the turn-in times be "in stone" at time of sanctioning.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #44
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Pork comes off and satys off. Want 2 temps cook 2 butts. This whole discussion has been ridiculous at best.
Why keep bringing it up then?
ique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #45
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Who cares if it's cooked with a stick burner or propane? Once it gets drowned in Blueshog, who's going to know the difference? (tongue only slightly in cheek)