MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
Perfect Rack BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Assassin First Cook!!!

We did our first cook in the Assassin this past weekend and our results were all over the place. Finding alot of hotspots, cooking times are much, much shorter. Everything was getting over cooked. Any tips from anyone ????

Old 04-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

Cook more.
Learn the cooker do not fight it.
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

yep, no matter what the cooker, they all have their own behaviors. I guess I dont know how much a gravity feed can be changed with the fire but it tool me a few cooks to figure out how I need to start my fires, ect. sometimes a cooker just needs a few cooks to get seasoned and calm down as well.
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-02-2013, 06:51 AM   #4
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

There is a big difference in energy loss between the WSM and an insulated cooker.
That energy is cooking instead of being lost = shorter cooking times and hotter cooking environment.
Use the biscuit test or cook some chicken parts to learn the hot spots in your cooker.
Use the hot spots to your advantage.
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

Patients Grasshopper. Everything has a learning curve. Dont let the temp get away from you remember its insulated and will hold the heat even after you choked down the fire.
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
Ackman
Full Fledged Farker

Use the Biscuits-- buy a couple of tubes of Pillsbury dinner rolls in the refrigerated section. Get the pit to temp and them place them all around the grates--watch how they progress...you will find the hot and cold spots
WSM 18"
CookShack SM025
Lang 36
BWS Extended Party
Humphrey's Battle Box and matching Pint
Ackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
SBG
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackman View Post
Use the Biscuits-- buy a couple of tubes of Pillsbury dinner rolls in the refrigerated section. Get the pit to temp and them place them all around the grates--watch how they progress...you will find the hot and cold spots
Interesting...I'll have to try that.

What would be the method? Lay them out and give it around 10 minutes and check?
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

I recommend using the flaky ones, or biscuits with a flatter top.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Rack BBQ View Post
We did our first cook in the Assassin this past weekend and our results were all over the place. Finding alot of hotspots, cooking times are much, much shorter. Everything was getting over cooked. Any tips from anyone ????
First off, calibrate the door therm with a maverick or something to the center grate, then know how each rack cooks. Door temps on verticals are not the same as grate temp. My vault used to burn food in the back, that's because I had the rack all the way back touching the false wall. I pulled em out 1" and fixed that. Alot of people use the fuse burn, I do not. Just know your pit.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
treytexag
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Rack BBQ View Post

Interesting. Tell us some more. What did you cook, at what temps, how long, where in the Assassin - wet or dry, type / brand of fuel, guru / no guru, chuncks added / no chuncks added.

I've cooked twice now in my Assassin, twice after the initial burn. Used the guru both times, using KF Comp Briquets and chunks added to firepan.

I had surprisingly good results. Thighs and legs first cook, 19 lb. beef brisket second cook. Did the chicken with water pan dry, did the brisket water pan wet.

I did not do the biscuit all around the cook chamber test looking for hotspots . . .

Trey
treytexag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

If there are no pictures it did not happen!

Check us out on Facebook
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113[/url]
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
Perfect Rack BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

We cooked pork butt, brisket and ribs. Kingsford briquettes, and used the guru. No water pan. The guru said the temp was steady at 250 the whole time. Brisket was dry, ribs on the bottom rack in the back were charred on the bottom. We will be having another test cook very soon. Need to get this thing figured out by the first competition June 1