• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pulling pork

prodano

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am wondering how everybody pulls pork. I currently use bear paws, but think they sometimes shred more than pull. Have been thinking about getting some high temp gloves like what Raichlen sells, any better ideas? Thanks!

I use the pvc gloves that i got free with my order at Simply Marvelous. Before that I used 2 forks.

I've used bear claws, forks and my bear hands. I get my best results using my fingers to shred the meat. it gives a better consistency. Get gloves and use your own claws. happy pullin'

I use two large serving forks. I would also suggest stainless steel tongs. I only use Edlund brand (USA).

Gloves - the ones from Simply Marvelous. I'm guessing you'd now find 'em on the Big Poppa Smokers site.

I also just use blue nitrile gloves. Make sure the meat has cooled enough to handle. Gloved fingers make sure you can feel and remove any residual chunks of fat or anything else you don't want to bite into. Can't do that with any utensils.

Knife and fork but it only take one to two slices and it's all fallen apart because it's so tender. :p

Chris Lilly does it best with his knife show, but I like it just at the point of smushing it with the gloves and leaving in slightly larger chunks for great texture.

Chopped is good, but it done wrong, it gets the consistency of cat food.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj8M6KOkyw8"]Chris Lilly at BABBP chopping up smoked pork shoulder | PHUDE-nyc - YouTube[/ame]

I have seen a tool called the Ro-Man pork puller. Here is a link to their website http://www.porkpuller.com/
It is probably not for someone that just does one or two at at a time but for mass quantity. But then again when you have a chance to use a power tool while cooking . . .

Awesome thanks for the replies! I think I will invest in a pair of gloves and pull by hand. Hope everybody has a Merry Christmas!

Nitrile gloves over brown cotton gloves. The best combination of dexterity and protection from the heat.

Are you guys using the regular medical nitrile gloves? Or the thicker gloves that Steven Raichlen sells and Chris Lilly uses in the video posted above?

I also just use blue nitrile gloves, the then medical kind(powder free of course) you find at Sams club by the box. That way I can feel the any fat that I want to separate out.

pwa

Back