MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-03-2005, 12:55 PM   #1
DWFII
On the road to being a farker

Default turkey breast

I'd like to do a turkey breast come Monday. In the past I have brined and cooked over indirect heat. Since the Bandera is a smoker and not a grill, I am curious as to how ya'll do a turkey breast. Low and slow I presume and to what temp?
WSM
wishing for:Vicmarc 200
DWFII is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2005, 01:02 PM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default RE: turkey breast

250-275 until it reaches 170 (maybe 165 and foil it lightly to let it rest - it'll keep cooking to 170).

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2005, 01:49 PM   #3
DWFII
On the road to being a farker

Dave,

Thanks.

My pit runs pretty good at 220-240. It's like it's zoned in. I don't know if I can keep it at 250 or above without a hair dryer.

Thoughts?
WSM
wishing for:Vicmarc 200
DWFII is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2005, 02:18 PM   #4
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

DFWII, Low and slow isn't required for turkey as it isn't a cantacerous(sp?) tough cut like a butt or brisket that needs time to tenderize. Slowing the cooking time can add to drying, so if you can get the temp higher, that's good but not essential.

BTW-Most commercially available turkey breasts are prebrined (will say injected/packed in a solution of xx% of ......) that means its brined. Additional brining really isn't necessary for moisture. If you're using it as a means to carry in some extra flavor and it's worked for you in the past, stick with what you're comfortable with.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2005, 02:41 PM   #5
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Agree with kcquer, pit temp of 275 or higher and take the internal on breast to no higher than 160. I pull anywhere from 155 to 157 internal and let rest before carving.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote