MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Utah Jake
On the road to being a farker

Default Grease on Paint?

Pardon me if I am asking a question that has been answered already but I don't see a lot of real info on this. The subject has to do with restoring my Lang 60.
I see a lot of advise saying to apply grease (lard, Crisco, Pam, etc) to the outside surface of the cooker. This to me seems very strange in that it is already painted with high temperature paint.
I'm a veteran Dutch oven user with 33 ovens collected over 30 years. We use Crisco or Campchef Cast iron conditioner to lay in a seasoning that turns to carbon on bare metal, sealing off the metal from air, water or food. Since the bare metal on my Lang has been primer paint then finish high temp enamel applied to it, there is no way grease is going to treat the metal. They do make a stove wax for home stoves that helps protect the paint and I'm sure that could help an outside BBQ pit.
I'm open to anyone that can explain the paint - grease idea. I'm hoping there is some sort of rational knowledge, not just "My daddy did it so I do it".
Utah Jake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
thenicksfam

The paint will eventually flake off from the firebox temps and start to rust. If you want to wait till it does, that's up to you.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
FireChief
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenicksfam View Post
The paint will eventually flake off from the firebox temps and start to rust. If you want to wait till it does, that's up to you.

Yup. Same for my Horizon. I grease down virtually every time I fire her up. Looks good as new...

Old 12-16-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
bbqbull
Watching over us.

This information if from Klose Pits under curing.

http://bbqpits.com/
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
Utah Jake

Thank you for that link. I found my answer in the "Pit Painting" section.
The answer is that greasing the firebox does nothing for the metal but rather keeps the paint from drying out, becoming brittle and cracking during the metal heat expansion process. Now that makes sense,
Utah Jake is offline   Reply With Quote