MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:04 PM   #1771
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by topjimmy View Post
What works better the conduit caps or the magnets? I would think the caps would eventually warp the holes as you keep removing and replacing.

I'll let you know how the build goes. This should be a huge improvement over my ECB smoker.

Thanks to all of you for laying the ground work for Q Bliss.

Later
JimC
I'm confused.

Are you talking about intake or exhaust?

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #1772
topjimmy
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
I'm confused.

Are you talking about intake or exhaust?

Sorry, Intake. From my experience with smoking on different cookers I always run with an open exhaust.

Later
JimC
topjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2008, 02:10 PM   #1773
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

Hey TopJimmy if you get the drums free then just get a donor and make your own lid. I never have liked the idea of cutting the top of the drum off to make a weber lid fit. I can just see getting cut on that raw edge. Plus I like having the flat top look, maybe it goes with my haircut!!!

I have a tall lid and a short lid. The tall one is mainly for my UDS and the short one for my UDG. But they are of course interchangable. Both were done a bit differently and both work great.

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

Last edited by Barbarian; 11-19-2009 at 07:34 PM..
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2008, 08:15 AM   #1774
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by topjimmy View Post
What works better the conduit caps or the magnets?
There is at least one other alternative. That's the intake method I use as shown below:

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.

Last edited by Mark; 02-26-2010 at 01:34 PM..
Mark is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #1775
jerrykr
Knows what a fatty is.

I really like the idea of making your own lid from a donor drum. One drum makes 2 of them! If I ever make a second UDS, that will surely be kept in mind.
jerrykr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #1776
fordman
Knows what a fatty is.

Hey Barbarian how did you go about making your short lid? I have two open top barrels. Was going to make two but well decided cut one up eaither make a lid or make my one into a double rack. I cut just below the second ring. if I grind more off will it fit over the top of the other one or do I have to weld a piece around it for a lip?
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2008, 09:22 PM   #1777
sfbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

I know, I know it's on here but would love to hear some opinions on where and why thermometers go on UDS. Mine is nearing completion and thermos are going on soon so looking for pros/cons of where and why?

All help is appreciated.
'08 Weber Genesis Gasser
SJG Tamale Pot Mini Smoker (SJG was a rescue)
and a Pyro FIL
sfbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2008, 09:25 PM   #1778
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbbqguy View Post
I know, I know it's on here but would love to hear some opinions on where and why thermometers go on UDS. Mine is nearing completion and thermos are going on soon so looking for pros/cons of where and why?

All help is appreciated.
Below first grate, so probe is @3/4" below. Why? So you don't have to manuver grate around it when lifting it out. 2nd in lid, but optional.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2008, 09:33 PM   #1779
Bevo
Full Fledged Farker

[quote=Norcoredneck;765684]Below first grate, so probe is @3/4" below. Why? So you don't have to manuver grate around it when lifting it out. @nd in lid, but optional.[/quotemy answer as well.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:22 AM   #1780
hav
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbbqguy View Post

All help is appreciated.
Well I know that my Remote Temp Probe was acting up on my last smoke and I heavily relied on having both the Under the Grill Grate Thermo as well as my new addition of the the Dome Lid Thermo.

14" Table Top Kettle Grill; Turkey Fryer; [B][I][COLOR=red]Rapid-Fire-Red[/COLOR][/I][/B] Thermapen!; [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B][I]Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE![/I][/B][/COLOR]
hav is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #1781
sfbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks...makes good sense. That's where they'll go.
'08 Weber Genesis Gasser
SJG Tamale Pot Mini Smoker (SJG was a rescue)
and a Pyro FIL
sfbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2008, 01:02 AM   #1782
chasmosis
Knows what a fatty is.

Default another one hooked - building new UDS

I've been reading thru this thread for the last week, you've hooked me and I decided to build one.

Scored a couple barrels with lids and rings (got an extra just in case) for $10 each. My dad runs a welding shop he knew a guy who is hauling them to the scrapper.

Drums had coconut oil in them, no coating besides a little coconut oil (initially thought it was lard). I'm gonna give them a good wash with hot soapy water and brush out the little bit of rust with some scotch brite. I wasn't planning on burning them out, anyboding think I should?

I've also got a question on where you guys get your thermometers you are installing in your barrels. I'm not talking about the wired probe electronic therms but the dial smoker specific thermometer in the side of your barrels? I've seen a link or 2 to websites selling them. I've looked at local hardware stores but can't seem to find them locally.
chasmosis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2008, 01:23 AM   #1783
Beerwolf
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmosis View Post

I've also got a question on where you guys get your thermometers you are installing in your barrels. I'm not talking about the wired probe electronic therms but the dial smoker specific thermometer in the side of your barrels? I've seen a link or 2 to websites selling them. I've looked at local hardware stores but can't seem to find them locally.

I have bought all of mine on E bay for anywhere from 7 to 15 dollars

Old 10-26-2008, 01:29 AM   #1784
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Gary

Chasmosis, I got mine thru Spicewine. They make reliable bbq products. Don't think you can go wrong with them.

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, [/COLOR][COLOR=darkred]KCBS - CBJ[/COLOR][/FONT]
Semper Fi, when in doubt empty the magazine :rip:
garyk1398 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2008, 01:35 AM   #1785
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmosis View Post
I've been reading thru this thread for the last week, you've hooked me and I decided to build one.

Scored a couple barrels with lids and rings (got an extra just in case) for $10 each. My dad runs a welding shop he knew a guy who is hauling them to the scrapper.

Drums had coconut oil in them, no coating besides a little coconut oil (initially thought it was lard). I'm gonna give them a good wash with hot soapy water and brush out the little bit of rust with some scotch brite. I wasn't planning on burning them out, anyboding think I should?

http://www.spicewineironworks.com/Me...egory_Code=acc

Quality recalibratable gauge. He's a Brethren also. Order some rubs/sauce while your at it, good stuff.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker