whats the secreat to bite thru skin on chicken?

For me it is cooking in the 300° range, between 275° and 350° on the uds for about an hour usually does the trick.

Sent from my Moto Droid using Tapatalk

Yup. High heat (or finish/crisp on a grill once they are done)

I scrape the skins... smoke indirect @ 250* for a few hours and finish on my weber @ 300* direct heat... That Pickled Pig link is a great tutorial on where to start.

Think I've tried everything.

Well, the secret to bite through tender chicken wouldn't be a secret anymore if it got posted here...but I will give you a couple of hints and maybe a couple of more things to try.

First, try to buy air chilled chicken with fairly thin skin. Bell and Evans for example is an excellent choice. This definitely makes a difference.

Second, don't brine the chicken, it makes the skin rubbery and gives the chicken an odd texture IMHO.

Third, put some margarine or oil on the skin right before you put it on the cooker. I've even heard of some people using mayonnaise. This seems to moisturize and tenderize the skin.

Finally, cook at temps between 275 and 300.

None of the above will make the skin crisp, but it will help make it bite through tender. If you want it crisp, that's another lesson for another day.

Good luck! :thumb:

boil it,works every time. A competition cook will refuse to admit this and hence calls this technique "braising" "steaming" whatever u want to call it, it works

I scrape the skins... smoke indirect @ 250* for a few hours and finish on my weber @ 300* direct heat... That Pickled Pig link is a great tutorial on where to start.

boil it,works every time. A competition cook will refuse to admit this and hence calls this technique "braising" "steaming" whatever u want to call it, it works

Yep, yep and yep.... Heavily inspired by The Pickled Pig method, and by the Jumpin' Jim method, I can get it. Here's a couple of picts to chew on. Heheheee.

DSC04403aajpgxx.jpg

DSC08884a.jpg

DSC09978cu.jpg

Thirdeye...that chicken looks awsome! You wouldn't happen to have a few pictures of how you trim?:pray:

Last edited:
Thirdeye...that chicken looks awsome! You wouldn't happen to have a few pictures of how you trim?:pray:

Me? Have a few pictures??
camera0nv.gif

Here is my ongoing chicken thigh article. You need to check out the link to The Pickled Pig site that Michael mentioned above, it is sweet and complete.

My article does visit about Jumpin' Jum's method, and also Myron Mixon's cupcake thigh method. The scraping of the skin really works good, the earliest read for me on that was a Julia Child recipe that called for scraping duck skin.

Last edited:
Your photo gallary link isn't working...:cry: I started my journey of bite through chicken skin with the Pickled Pig article. Trimming with bone in is my issue lately as far as uniform size.

Thirdeye! Very nice article! I like how you give a lot of details, step by step directions, different options of doing the chicken and of course photos! I just bookmarked your site and plan to visit often and show several friends. I think your and the pickled pig articles should almost be mandatory reading. Thanks again! Oh... and Sled, I do compete and I do braise...and you are correct! It does work fantastically! :cool:

Nice and thanks guys. I have some things to work with.

I brine and air dry. This sucks moisture out of the skin IMO. I never have a problem getting bite through skin. Like clock work everytime.:-D

Just took the last hour and carefully read the pickled pigs and thireye's pages on chicken. Oh my ... I feel that I just read PhD thesis's for BBQ chicken! Thanks.. I really learned quite a bit!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the same problem a few weeks back.... asked the same question. Someone gave me a great tip: Rub the chicken down with lemon juice prior to putting it on and cook around 300 as mentioned. I've done it several times and will do it again today. Best chicky I've ever made!

Had the same problem a few weeks back.... asked the same question. Someone gave me a great tip: Rub the chicken down with lemon juice prior to putting it on and cook around 300 as mentioned. I've done it several times and will do it again today. Best chicky I've ever made!

Steve, is this better than marinating in Italian dressing overnight? I've found the oil in the dressing definately helps with the skin some.

How long before cooking do you apply the lemon juice?

Back