550 fuel tank to smoker

JandJbuidasmoker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys!

First, thanks for taking the time in advance in reading this. We have a 550 gallon fuel tank that we will be converting to a smoker. I believe I can cut on it after I have ran water and Dawn through it. I'll cut a whole then burn in it. Will this be enough to make sure my food doesn't taste like Diesel???

Flush it a couple of times, then fill up, make the first cut with it full of water

Nope, it's a biggun fo sho, but you can certainly make an RF out of it.

550 tank to smoker

550 gallon, not sure how thick the walls are. It held Diesel fuel. 60 inches long and 44" wide and I believe 60" in Hight?

If you are concerned about the tank exploding while using heat (torch / grinder, etc) on it, create an air flow. Put compressed air or CO2 (car exhaust will do) line to one side (end) and open vent on the other side (end). As long as enough air is flowing through the tank, it will not explode. it may create a flame out the exhaust side of the air flow, but that is much better than the other options.

Of course flush first as you already suggested.

Was that fire box a cylinder at one time? Should I put vents on the side of the fire box as well?

Looks sorta like an air compressor tank with the bottom cut off and the end with a door welded on. I wouldn't put vents in the firebox. You want the smoke to draw all the way to the other end.

Last edited:
Back