• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Hickory Stronger Than Pecan, or Not?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
It has not been my opinion or experience, but I was suprised to see that Aaron Franklin states that pecan is a stronger smoke than hickory in his BBQ with Franklin YouTube series.

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ucUy1k86GdA"]BBQ with Franklin: The Wood - YouTube[/ame]

What say the Brethren?

I must lead a sheltered life, I've never heard of Aaron Franklin. :oops:

I must lead a sheltered life, I've never heard of Aaron Franklin. :oops:

He runs Franklin BBQ in Austin. It has made quite the splash in the news the last couple of years, but I would much rather eat your cooking, given the choice.:mrgreen:

He runs Franklin BBQ in Austin. It has made quite the splash in the news the last couple of years, but I would much rather eat your cooking, given the choice.:mrgreen:

lol Thanks! :hug: :mrgreen:

I say we just had this discussion about a week or so back (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147556); I don't think it's any stronger, but then I'm no Aaron Franklin. It would be interesting to know which type of hickory he is comparing pecan with though...

Personally I favor pecan for long cooks and just about any meat.

There are two kinds of Pecan. There are the Domesticated varieties from which we get edible Pecans and Wild Pecan that doesn't have much of nut. I don't know which one Franklin is referring to and I don't know whether Wild Pecan is stronger or milder than Hickory but everything I've seen before this referred to Pecan(Domesticated by my thinking since almost everyone talks about getting it from pruning and broken limbs) being milder than Hickory.

Another thing to consider. It's not everyday you see producing Pecan trees being cut down. I've seen Pecan groves in the same places with the same trees for 40-50+ years of my life. Haven't seen many of those trees cut down or even enough large branches come out of them to supply a hungry offset for very long. Wild Pecan is sounding more likely to me by the moment.

I use domesticated and wild pecan.It is milder than Hickory.

I really wonder too if it makes a difference when you're doing a TOTAL wood fired cook VS charcoal/chunks.

When cooking at home I use Pecan chunks, the family likes lighter smoke
taste.

When cooking at a contest we use Hickory chunks and a lot of them.

There are two kinds of Pecan. There are the Domesticated varieties from which we get edible Pecans and Wild Pecan that doesn't have much of nut.

Not that it is a big deal to me, but I wasn't aware of this so I have been trying to find what the two kinds are. So far, in my tree identifier and in Wikipedia they seem to be one and the same species. Can you point me in the right direction?

Back