Suggestions for smoking a WHOLE salmon?

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hello all,

Another post.....I found weird things at the grocery store to smoke today....one of them was a whole silverbright salmon...just been gutted and head is off.

I've rubbed it with a chile lemon rub...and soaking it a bit in a leftover vodka/cranberry/citrus drink I found in a pitcher in my fridge...

Anyone got cooking times/temps for something like this?

Putting it on soon on upper rack......

Thanx!

cayenne

ps. What is everyone else cooking today?

about 300 till it flakes. don't soak it too long or it'll be cooked before you ever get it into the pit.

Re: RE: Suggestions for smoking a WHOLE salmon?

david said:
better if it's fileted

Many thanks!!

I'm planning on doing it whole for ease of handling....I'll most likely either try to filet it after cooking....or if too flaky..will just scrape it off the bones....and eat in a variety of ways....on salad...or one of my favs, flaking it, mixing with either salsa or chile poweder and cumin...and cream cheese, putting on a low carb tortilla (I'm on Atkins), and rolling up...and then slicing to make pinwheels.

Great stuff and very versitile...

Thanks for all the advice...

K

RE: Re: RE: Suggestions for smoking a WHOLE salmon?

I'm confused...my fire doesn't get aboove 220+.....is 300F correct?

Can someone clarify?

Thanx,

C

RE: Re: RE: Suggestions for smoking a WHOLE salmon?

I always cook salmon hot so it doesn't dry out

Re: RE: Re: RE: Suggestions for smoking a WHOLE salmon?

cayenne said:
I'm confused...my fire doesn't get aboove 220+.....is 300F correct?

Can someone clarify?

Thanx,

C

I'm a bit toasted...help me.

GOt an internal temp I should go for:?

K

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Suggestions for smoking a WHOLE salmon?

160ish or when the flesh flakes

Cayenne, how did the salmon turn out? I usually smoke at low temps 180-200 for salmon after soaking in a basic brine for 24 hrs.

160ish or when the flesh flakes

I think it's more like 140 - but yes, when the fish flakes.

I'm curious about how it came out, as well...

Were you looking for smoked salmon, or salmon cooked in the smoker? For smoked salmon, I use a technique similar to Neil's. Brine for 24 hours and in the smoke at 180 or so. Depending on my mood, I'll add flavoring to the brine. Pineapple juice is very good. Also, at times, I put slices of raw oniion onto the salmon (usually fillets) and then cover it with brown sugar.

For cooked salmon, I keep it simple. I like the fillets with a little butter and some lemon pepper and then cooked on the grill skin-side down. For a whole salmon, I like to stuff the cavity with a mushroom-wild rice pilaf (pre-cooked) and some butter, then wrap it in foil and cook it at 300 until it flakes. Then I peel off the skin and use a large spoon to pull the meat away from the bones. I serve it with a homemade bernaise sauce.

Back