MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
Sly-one
Full Fledged Farker

Default Some Beer Can Chicken on the UDS

I ordered the Oakridge BBQ sample pack and it arrived today. Hmmm, what to do with some of this stuff? Whole chickens were on sale for .99 a pound, and I recently picked up a couple of BCC racks, so naturally, beer can chicken got the nod. I removed the giblets, washed off the chicken, patted it dry, spritzed it with olive oil and added the Oakridge Game Bird and Chicken rub. I put it on the UDS and had to use a "tall" lid we made and let the temp climb up into the 330-355 range.
I read in a tutorial for spatchcocked chicken to pull it when the breast hits 155 and the thigh gets to 165 and let it sit for 10-15 minutes, so that's what I did. The skin was a touch rubbery but had fantastic flavor, so after eating, I tossed the other bird and the half bird we didn't eat back onto the UDS.
My lawn mower is broken so a friend drove his Dixie Chopper over (sweet!). What normally takes me over an hour to mow took him only 30 minutes on his DC, which as it turns out, was just the right amount of time to finish the chickens. The skin got just right and the meat stayed moist.
My neighbor had told me that on his way over, when he turned the corner, he could smell the chicken cooking, so I sent the second bird home with him wrapped in foil in an aluminum pan. He stuck it between his feet and took off like a wide receiver running for the goal line. Nobody was going to stop him or get that chicken away from him.
Moral of the story? When you need your lawn mowed, season up some chicken and throw it on the smoker!

Here are two old biddies having a chat.

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Great looking yard bird. Great Story too.
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

They look great! Thanks for giving Oakridge BBQ a try!

[URL="https://www.oakridgebbq.com"][B][U][SIZE="3"]~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~[/SIZE][/U][/B][/URL]

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
Sly-one
Full Fledged Farker

Mike, thanks for offering that sample pack at a nice, cheap price. It gives many of us the chance to try something different without spending a wad of cash. What other of your rubs do you suggest for chicken? We like the sweeter tastes, but don't mind a bit of the bite afterwards.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks alot!
Chicks Pron looks good!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is online now   Reply With Quote