Prep for chicken

Bbqin fool

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys. First time bbqin chicken. Which cuts do you recommend? What prep do you prefer to do? What temp do you prefer? Spicy or sweet rub? I have also read about braising the chicken in parkay. Is that true? Looking forward to your feedback.

If its your first time I would go with leg quarters. They are pretty forgiving and usually the cheapest way to go.

I wouldn't worry about the butter/margarine bath. Thats more of a competition thing. Make sure we get pictures!

Yeah, leg quarters are great for smokin', and they're usually pretty cheap.

Lots of folks just marinate in Italian dressing overnight and then lightly season with a typical bbq rub before smoking. If using this method, cook as fast and hot as you want to, but you might want to start skin down and flip after a while depending on your temp and smoker. This method won't get you that nice and tender bite through chicken skin that wins competitions, but it's quick and easy.

I always disjoint each quarter, and I'd cook to IT of 170-180* if cooking HH. I find that pulling off at 167* is fine with my method, but I don't know if that's because I brine or because I cook low-n-slow, or both.

Guess it depends on what you're after. If you like the dark meat, then leg quarters. If you're a white meat guy, I really like bone-in split breasts. Mostly, though, I do whole birds.

Regardless, I usually do chicken at 325-350 until 260 in the breast or 275 in the thigh. Rub before hand and sauce at the very end (if you want sauce). Sauce will burn if you put it on too soon.

Good luck.

Guess it depends on what you're after. If you like the dark meat, then leg quarters. If you're a white meat guy, I really like bone-in split breasts. Mostly, though, I do whole birds.

Regardless, I usually do chicken at 325-350 until 260 in the breast or 275 in the thigh. Rub before hand and sauce at the very end (if you want sauce). Sauce will burn if you put it on too soon.

Good luck.

Must be going for really bite through skin then lol...I kid I kid...

I would go with Legs and Thighs. My preference is to keep it simple, sprinkle on some rub (your choice of flavor), and brush with BBQ sauce if wanted during the last 10 minutes or so of cooking.

Cook at 325º - 350º, try to not cook to fast or they will be burnt on the outside and raw in the center. Cook to 183º. If using the Weber. open the top vent completely and control the fire with the lower. Try to leave the lid on a much as possible. Make sure the Weber is stabilized prior to putting the chicken on.

Good luck and post back on the cook. :thumb:

Salad Dressing marinades work great. Season with something you like.

I cook chicken at 300 - 325. Chicken will temp "done" between 160 (Breasts) 175 (Dark Meat) I start skin side up, flipping after it turns opaque white/yellow.

Once they temp, I let them sweat a bit more at a lower temperature to release the meat from the bone a bit more completely. I put finished chicken in a steamer pan to rest for a few before serving.

You should be able to break the leg quarter apart with your tongs when its done. Same with whole bird.

Here are some thighs I threw on the BGE Mini...
5493038020_1123ebc37f.jpg

Good luck and let us know how it worked out!

Thanks guys. So the wife likes white meat so I am going with split breasts. What do you thinkof mixing rub with butter and putting under skin and sprinkling rub on skin. Thinking of apple hickory wood mix. Then finishing with a homemade apple juice bbq sauce glaze

Chicken

Yes, cook at 300* or so and don't place ABOVE any other meat,cross contamination can be quick. I wash my brids(all turk.chick.,game) whatever,helps clean it of any blood and wear gloves to handle($5 a box of 500,Sam's)
When the thigh leaks clear juice when poked,it's done.Leg and thigh pull apart easily.
Have fun and,

Thanks guys. So the wife likes white meat so I am going with split breasts. What do you thinkof mixing rub with butter and putting under skin and sprinkling rub on skin. Thinking of apple hickory wood mix. Then finishing with a homemade apple juice bbq sauce glaze

I've only used butter under the skin once, and I just used one or two pads of butter on each thigh after sprinkling some seasoning under the skin. It worked great, and I'll be doing it like that from now on. First though, I think that removing as much fat as you can really helps..as much as you have time for, and with breasts especially, I'd brine, at least an 1.5 hr. dry brine of kosher sprinkled on after trimming the fat off. Just use a no/low salt seasoning after rinsing the salt/brine off. Good luck with it. I love split chicken breasts. Go easy with the smoke, especially the hickory.

I have always used a simple brine for about 2-3 hours, rinse, put on the smoker (275-300*) and then season about half way through so the rub doesnt burn too much or anything. turns out nice and flavorful.... at least i think so ... lol

With chicken, the 2 biggest issues are tenderness and texture of the skin.

If the bird isn't too dry and doesn't have rubbery skin, I'd say almost anybody would think it's good eatin.

Back