Pork Butt Adventures: Steaks, Cracklins, & Fat Cap Bacon! (Long Pr0n)

BigButzBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Shopping at the butcher always manages to put me in a good mood. Recently I made a trip to one of the local meat markets and it was supposed to be a glorious trip. Not only was I to purchase meat but, I had a $50.00 gift certificate to spend! How could this not be a good trip? Thoughts of acquiring a double packer of pork buts, a tri-tip, and other goodies danced through my head. I skipped up to the counter with a large giddy smile upon my face and requested the Pork Butts. They went into the back and got me one. I was practically dancing around the store as they printed out the sticker and slapped it on the package and set it on the counter. Now, before I go any further, I should make it known that I do understand that the price of pork has gone up but, when I looked at the sticker...
002.jpg

OMG! :shock: :faint:
Just like that, most of my gift certificate vanished. After that, all I had left was enough to pick up a couple pounds of ground meats. Depression set in immediately upon leaving the store. All my dreaming was for not. I was now left with the decision, do I keep the butts as they were, or do something diabolical with one of them?
004.jpg

Feeling the need for meat therapy, I chose the latter. One was wrapped up and tossed in the freezer for proper use later while the other was left out for some cutting.
006.jpg

I started by removing the Fat Cap but, I went a little deeper than normal to take some meat along with it. This was then bagged up and put away until later.
008-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

Any remaining little bits of fat were trimmed off and I was left with a butt light.
010-1.jpg

As far as the rest of the fat went, I wasn't about to just throw it away, so I chopped it up and threw it in a pan.
012-1.jpg

While those little bits were cooking down. I took my butt light and sliced off some pork steaks until I hit a bone. What was left I saved for a mini smoked butt later.
014.jpg

After I got all these bagged up, I returned back to the bits of fat that were slowly cooking away on the stove, and after a bit, I had a fresh batch of cracklins!
018.jpg

020.jpg

These little gems were delicious and melted in the mouth.
After I finished up my cracklin snack. I took out some kosher salt, brown sugar, and black pepper and mixed them up.
022.jpg

023.jpg

I have been wanting to make some bacon for awhile so, I figured I would take this opportunity to do some experimenting with it. I took the Fat Cap out and slathered it up with something special.
024.jpg

025.jpg

Then it got rubbed down with the curing mix.
027.jpg

028.jpg

From there it went into a plastic bag to sit in the fridge for about a week.
029.jpg

During this week, the pork steaks came out to play and got cooked up on my indoor cast iron propane powered grill.
030.jpg

032.jpg

These were extremely tender and absolutely delicious! Love me some pork steaks!
After the week or so, the fat cap was ready for smoking.
044.jpg

045.jpg

The Fat Cap was given a quick rinse and then onto the UDS it went, set as low as possible.
047.jpg

048.jpg

050.jpg

"low as possible" was not nearly low enough to smoke the bacon. It wouldn't get any lower than 200 and after 2 hours, the fat had obviously started to cook, I quick probed it and it was at 150 so I yanked it off.
052.jpg

From there I hand sliced it up.
054.jpg

056.jpg

The only thing to do was fry up a couple of pieces to test it out.
057.jpg

The results were not all that disappointing. It obviously does not have enough smoke flavor but, the saltiness and general profile were pretty close to being right on. Some more testing shall be required though. Although one thing I know for sure. I will be attempting Fat Cap Bacon again in the future!
Thanks for looking! :becky:

Excellent work fellow Porker!:thumb: You have done us all proud, all that looks Porkalicious!

Always heed those pork suggestions in your mind.:nod: My work here is now complete.

Pork and Away!!!

Now that is what I call an excellent post! :clap: Looks delicious, great info, fantastic ideas that I will soon claim are my own :heh: - thanks for putting that up!

Maybe a bowl of ice in the uds for low temp? Or rig some way to pipe smoke in through one of the intakes?

BTW green onions or loose leaf lettuce to pour hot grease over

LOL @ Mr.Big!

Thanks for the reportage Butsz!
...I'm gonna need me a snack right now!

There isn't a thing about this post I don't like.

I too love pork steaks cooked over a very hot fire. They make the best "pork chops" you've ever had.

That looks pretty close Tom, just a little tweaking with the UDS and you will have it. Nice steak and cracklins there.

Wow, did you save the grease?? All you need now is corn bread and mustard greens
Pig fat is sacred in my household. Have yet to use it on some greens though. It's on my list of things to try though.

That looks pretty close Tom, just a little tweaking with the UDS and you will have it. Nice steak and cracklins there.

Yeah, think I was pretty close on the bacon. The heat was a bit thrown off but the curing was pretty close maybe a little longer and a little more sugar.

Back