A New MUDS is Born

2ndchance

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
The weather decided to cooperate today so I could get to work on her. Last weekend I was able to burn the 10 Gallon drum out

CIMG0421-1.jpg

CIMG0418.jpg

Another new toy:-D
CIMG0419.jpg

Then I had to remove the bottom of the drum
CIMG0422.jpg

CIMG0423.jpg

Then used the weed burner to burn off the sealant and a few other spots. Then came the wire brushing

CIMG0428.jpg

Outside and inside
CIMG0429.jpg

Then I laid out my holes for my racks, yes plural, and another set of holes for a 10" terra cotta diffuser.

I wiped it down with denatured alcohol , sprayed it down wit Pam spray and seasoned it for an hour at 500 degrees using mesquite for seasoning.
CIMG0434.jpg

Since I had a fire going I chocked it down until it reached 300 degrees and rubbed up some thighs:becky:. I used yellow mustard and an apple rub that SWBO gave me.
CIMG0435.jpg

YUMMMM:becky::becky::becky::becky:
CIMG0437.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Really thorough job! It came out real good and the chicken looks pretty edible.

Nice! I have seen those military style drums here at work many a time but could only dream. Govt. uses them to put cables into around here for storage/shipment.

Thanks guys, I still need to paint the outside and install a couple of handles. I will post the completed pics when its done.

I still need to paint the outside

i dig the all the MUDS that come up on the board. they also seem to get a lot of "play" from folks that see them. last memorial day we were camping and had neighbors stopping by that were totally intrigued - some had never seen anything like them. or maybe it was the alluring smoke sausage smell permeating the woods...

having some extra time between eating, my buddy decided to "suspend/rig" the middle section above our fire like a chimney and treated it over several hours. pretty sure we were barley fogged but i think he used leftover bacon grease.

maybe it sounds gross but it gave it a nice cast iron pantena effect and is not greasy to the touch just kinda shiny. natures rust inhibitor? i actually like what it did (although i'd prolly go for pam or vegie next time) you can see the dif between the MUDS and the 2 UDS' - they both have the same hi-temp black paint.

167649_1830582089902_1400856699_32017182_6094022_n.jpg

it's held up really well - so well i think i will treat the 55's this summer.

MUDS are perfect for camping. Everything they need fits inside of them. Plus, visitors usually bring a beer or two when they come over and ask questions! I'm digging the look, I may just have to do that on my next trip.

Matt

I hope to do some camping this summer and the MUDS will be going along to drive the other campers crazy with the smells of real BBQ:becky:. Right now I'm trying to decide what do on it next weekend.

Very nice looking. I also got an idea about taking one camping. Didn't think about doing that. I've got a 30 gal. and a 15 gal. started.

Back