MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:12 AM   #1
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave
Default Prototype Baby Backs, Thanks Mike

Mike at Oakridge BBQ invited several of us to try an new prototype rub he is testing and give him some feedback. I've had really good luck with several of the Oakridge BBQ products so I was pretty pumped to try this new prototype rub. With Mike's encouragement, here is my experience. I'll go ahead a cut to the chase, Mike has a winner and hope we can order soon

Applied the rub to two racks of very meaty baby backs, probably about 3 pounds each and onto the 26.75 OGT in indirect mode using Stumps in a crescent shaped snake plus a little hickory.

Cooked them for 5 hours at 250*, no foil or BP wrap. In the final 1-1/2 hours I basted every half hour with some homemade jalapeno pepper jelly (I left about 1/2 rack with no basting so we could taste just the rub).

I asked everybody to try at least one of the ribs with just the rub only (no glaze). We really like the new rub, sweet with a good note of peppers. The bark was crisp and very thin, then a nice smoke ring and juicy bite through ribs, but not fallin-off-the-bone mushy. My wife is probably our most picky eater when it comes to seasonings and she really liked the pepper balanced with the sweetness. From an appearance standpoint, the rub seemed to develop its own shiny glaze in the last hour of cooking, equal to the shine of the jalapeno peppery jelly glaze. In the pictures above, the shot of the 1/2 rack sliced, the other 1/2 that is un-sliced is the portion WITHOUT any jalapeno pepper jelly glaze and just the rub put a nice shine on the ribs.

Buy the way, if you have never used pepper jelly you need to give it a try, very tasty. My wife makes our but it is readily available in a variety of flavors at texaspepperjelly.com.

If our experiment and Monday night dinner is an indication Oakridge BBQ is on track to have a great new rub, we will certainly use it again when it becomes available.

Thanks again Mike and thanks for watchin.

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wow, those ribs look good, nice smoke ring.

I am looking forward to purchasing the new rub as soon as it becomes available.

Thanks for sharing
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

Nice looking BB's

Check us out on Facebook
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113[/url]
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Nice looking bones!
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
dport7
is Blowin Smoke!

Wow, them are looking good.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Nice, real dang nice!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
Phubar

Dang that looks good!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #8
peeps

that rub is tasty! I put it on some spares on Saturday and they were delish! No glaze, no sauce, no spritz...just the prototype.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
deguerre

You're not leaving the table 'til you finish your corn, young man!!!

Carnage. It's what's for dinner!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
chickenchoker
Full Fledged Farker

I got my sample yesterday and was thinking babybacks too. look great

Custom Humphreys Comp Cart,Backwoods Party,18.5 WSM with Pro Q stacker, "skeeter" reverse flow offset

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK [URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-Chokers-Bar-B-Que-team/149911985044419[/URL]

2016 Sponsors- Butcher BBQ,Stubbs,Shelter Logic, A Fine Swine, Mojobricks
chickenchoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
dwfisk

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
that rub is tasty! I put it on some spares on Saturday and they were delish! No glaze, no sauce, no spritz...just the prototype.
Yea, should have mentioned we had our full compliment of BBQ sauces on the table and nobody even opened one, just the ribs hit the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
You're not leaving the table 'til you finish your corn, young man!!!

Carnage. It's what's for dinner!
And there is one little fleck of coleslaw that I missed too

Last edited by dwfisk; 12-03-2013 at 12:21 PM..
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
fingerlickin'

Love the color on those babies. Mike made a good move hooking you up. You can't buy advertising that looks that good.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
c farmer
Babbling Farker

Damn, very nice

Gold mini wsm 1st gen mes, amazin dust and pellet smoker, and the uds.

Double O' Seven == Rotisserie/Grill/Smoker Hybrid and offset.
c farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #14
Diesel Dave

They sure do look good.

Thanks for the write up about the flavor, to me that's what matters and the Brethren are the ones to really tell it like it is.

Can't wait to be able to get this rub

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #15
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Those ribs look great!

I used some on some chicken wings yesterday and it was great on them. I'm trying to find the time when I can get some ribs done. This time of year is crazy in our household.