MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave
Default Cambro vs. Cooler, my 2 cents

Here is an interesting bit of info someone might find useful. Like many, I use service pans (I think the correct term is Steam Table Service Pans) for everything and have an assortment of stainless, foil and even plastic, but I've always been frustrated that my Igloos and Rubbermaids would not hold them laying flat. Anyhow, my wife and I were on the way to our local restaurant supply store to by a Cambro catering box when on a fluke I decided to stop by my local boat/marine dealer (always on the lookout for new boat) and found a cooler that is the perfect size to hold a full size pan flat. It's inside dimensions are 26"x13" so it fits either full size or 2 half pans. Depending on what depth pan I'm using I can get 3 or 4 layers in the thing. It's a "tooCOOL" 80qt by MarPac, allegedly made by Yeti or Engle but at about half the cost of those expensive brands or the Cambro we were looking at. Here is a pic with a full size stainless 3" pan with room to spare.

This thing works great. My wife and I made an after game meal for my son's high school football team (she makes a mean spicy grilled chicken mac-n-cheese); 3 four inch foil pans came out of the oven at 6:00 PM and into the cooler; the game was over at 10:30 and the meal came out hot; not warm, hot! I routinely use it for holding marinating stuff (cold) or cooked stuff (hot). Best of all, instead of a single purpose Cambro I've got something that can serve double duty in my fishing boat on a routine basis.

Last edited by dwfisk; 01-22-2013 at 03:56 PM..
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Team DD
Full Fledged Farker

Nice, I will have to check out those coolers.
Weber One-Touch Silver
Custom Red Thermapen
Team DD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Nice cooler it does look like a Yeti or made by them, I sometimes use one of my Cambros as a cooler keeps beer cold for days

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
rexbbq
Full Fledged Farker

I like the Carlisle PC300N95, just like a cambro but half the price.

Rex's Red Hot BBQ
[url]http://www.savoryreviews.com[/url]

KCBS & MABA Member
[B]Black Thermapen[/B] and Backup [B]Blue Thermapen[/B]!
BBQ Guru Shotgun Smoker, Traeger Lil Tex, Traeger Texas, Weber Performer, Weber OTS (X3), Weber Spirit (gasser)
rexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Ive finally got a cambro. no one is convincing me its not the greatest thing ever
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
Ive finally got a cambro. no one is convincing me its not the greatest thing ever
Agree 100%. I don't know anyone who has a Cambro that would trade it for a cooler but there are plenty of those who would trade their cooler for a Cambro.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice find.....

One will always find what works best for them at a price they are willing to pay.

While the Cambro is a great tool for catering and moving large amounts of food, there are many who do not cater large events.

There are time when we are invited to a picnic or small party and the Cambro is just too big to lug along for a pork butt. I also have a small igloo just so I do not have to take the Cambro for these type of gatherings..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

Cambro, among others, manufacture a line of military-grade Insulated Food Transport Container's. I have one that is designed to hold up to one one full-size hotel pan (or 2 half pans, etc.).

These can be found at a very reasonable price relative to restaurant-grade Cambros.

for more information:
http://nsrdec.natick.army.mil/media/fact/food/IFC.pdf

PS: I also use ice chests when I don't need to hold food for so long.

Here's one I got of ebay for about $40
Attached Images
File Type: jpg food transport container.jpg (31.0 KB, 131 views)

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote