MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
Coldholler
Full Fledged Farker

Question Tying down your meat

I have to drive across town with my smoker, and I'll have 6 hours before we eat once I arrive at destination. I could definitely rush my butts at 300-315 degrees, but they'd have no time to rest and I prefer to cook lower and longer.

So I'm thinking about starting them early, hooking up the smoker, and driving while cooking. Thing is, it's a light trailer with no suspension, and I'll have a mile of washboarded gravel road where it bounces around quite a bit.

What could I tie the meat down with? Turkey string?

Old 05-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
33Posse
Knows what a fatty is.

What about air flow?
33Posse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
Coldholler
Full Fledged Farker

I'm a little worried about that, too.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
Skidder
Babbling Farker

That's a ridiculous thing to do and totally unsafe and probably against the law
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

You could take the butts to ~160F & foil them. Wrap in towels and throw them into the cooler. Then beat feet to your destination, get the cooker back up to speed & put the butts back on the cooker (in the foil or not) and finish on-site.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
rball5
Got Wood.

Saw this posted as a reply to the same question from someone else a while back:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=62226

Definitely not something I'd do.
rball5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
Coldholler
Full Fledged Farker

Oh -- safety isn't the real concern here. I've often driven it home after cooks. My firebox intake seals pretty well, and it's a small firebox anyway. I'm actually worried about almost putting the fire out, or snuffing it down so much that it dumps soot on my meat.

But clearly, I can't drive along with the intake wide open, even though my max speed will be about 30mph (no highways).

Old 05-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Why can't you cook them off completely early and rest them in a cooler. Do you have to take the trailer and smoker? If so I still would finish them at home and have them wrapped and in a cooler resting just take the trailer empty and shut down. I guess you could put them on the smoker once you get there and heat them up a bit more, but they will hold a good heat for a long time in a cooler. As said If you don't need the smoker for something more, leave it at home, less hassle.
Dave

Old 05-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
Coldholler
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks! I might start the cook at home and cooler them for the transport. I'll be cooking a tiny pig the last 5 hours after I get there, though -- I'll have to have the cooker, and it's going to travel hot either way.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
Coldholler
Full Fledged Farker

This BBQ thing gets complicated -- hones the problem-solving skillset for sure...

Old 05-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #11
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldholler View Post
Thanks! I might start the cook at home and cooler them for the transport. I'll be cooking a tiny pig the last 5 hours after I get there, though -- I'll have to have the cooker, and it's going to travel hot either way.
Next solution why not at least prep all the meat at home and just figure on spending more of the day cooking at the location where you are going, is it far?
Dave

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
Coldholler
Full Fledged Farker

I'll prep it all first for sure. I can fast-track the butts at a little over 300, but I won't get them on until 8:30 at the earliest. How long can they sit out at room temperature? The pig goes on around 11am (it's only 25 pounds dressed), so I'll have time to prep it after the butts get going.

I pick up the pig at 7:30 that morning, which is when I wish I was in place and in motion, but that interrups my ideal cooking time. I have a 20 minute drive to where I'll be cooking. The party starts at 4 -- doesn't mean I'll need to serve then but probably need to have my cooking finished so stuff can rest, and to be safe.