My UDS Build with a question (pics)

J

jrd

Here is the donated 55 gallon drum

DrumSmoker002.jpg

The Inside with the Weber Cooking Grate:

DrumSmoker007.jpg

And here is a view of the smoker with the lid on. I have 4 air intake holes at the bottom of the smoker with covers to regulate the air flow.

DrumSmoker011.jpg

And here is a closer view of the top.

DrumSmoker014.jpg

My question is this: Are the two holes on the top going to be enough or should I add more?

Now all I have left to do is to build the charcol basket and then give her a whirl.

Thanks for the help!
John

Well I can't help with your question but do I see a couple of Jet tools?
Maybe a bandsaw and jointer. Very nice wooden toolbox. :wink:

John, there are other people on here that know a lot more than me about the UDS, but it looks like to me you have a drum with a liner. You will want to get that liner off your drum before you try to cook any food in it. Several drumies cut up a pallet and burn that in the drum to get rid of the liner. Also, I think the basic plan for the UDS was 8 evenly spaced 1" holes in the top. The two you have might not be enough but as I said, others will know better than me. Your build looks good so far.

I think that you're going to need a few more exhaust holes to get a good draw. Also, is the gasket still on the lid? It needs to come off of there or you'll get some nasty fumes when it heats up. And remove the thermo when you do the burn out or it might get ruined.

I don't know. Is that something I should worry about?

Yes...follow the advice and burn that baby out...good and hot so there is nothing left but bare metal. I prefer using a weed burner. Then get all the residue out, season it and start making pron.
You might want to go back and read some of the UDS thread or the Cliff notes, How a redneck would build a UDS thread...or something like that. Good information there.
If you don't burn it out and get the liner (red paint) out, your more than likely gonna get some people sick.

I don't know. Is that something I should worry about?

YES! remove all the hardware from the drum, load it up with wood and let it burn, the hotter the better. You need to remove the lining as ir may/will taint your food.

Nice lookin' build brother smoker...but ALL that red stuff has GOT to go...bad juju...:cool:

Thanks all for the info.

I'll take the hardware off and get a couple of pallets and let er burn!

Thanks again!
John

open the bottom holes remove gauge and fill it wood burn it till it <red bad liner > flakes off then sand wife down will pam or butter or lard lol do a re burn to temp and season done get to cooking and post lots of pics

Are those electrical box covers for vent lids? Could you post some close ups? I love to see the new ways and ideas people come up with for vents and how they work!! Too cool. Course I went with the patented JD vents and have been very happy with them.

When you burn your drum you may notice that the bottom outside of the drum, the paint, won't burn off completely. One of the Brothers here just kicked it on it's side once it was down to coals and then rolled it every once in a while to fully burn the paint at the bottom of the drum.

I run a Weber lid and only have the four exhaust holes that are on the Weber lid. It's enough for me. I would think maybe two more 1 inch holes would be good.

open the bottom holes remove gauge and fill it wood burn it till it <red bad liner > flakes off then sand wife down will pam or butter or lard lol do a re burn to temp and season done get to cooking and post lots of pics

This I gotta see :twisted:.

Are those electrical box covers for vent lids? Could you post some close ups? I love to see the new ways and ideas people come up with for vents and how they work!! Too cool. Course I went with the patented JD vents and have been very happy with them.
Yes, they are electrical box covers. Here's the close up you asked for.

DrumSmokerAirIntake001.jpg

Just took the cover, bent it in a vise, and used self tapping screws to hold them secure. They move side to side nicely.

Thanks to all for your help and advice.
John

I would say forget the burn! I had a liner and went through 2 big burns and barely got any of it removed.

I ended up getting a mask and ear plugs and took a grinder to the whole damn thing! It took a while but it looked really nice seeing the shine of the bare metal!

Cool mod on the vents!! I like it. You could even do a 3 or 4 hole vent using one of those lids so that it works like the vent on a Weber kettle. It would work well on your drum since you are using the flat lid. Cool idea!!

When you burn your drum you may notice that the bottom outside of the drum, the paint, won't burn off completely. One of the Brothers here just kicked it on it's side once it was down to coals and then rolled it every once in a while to fully burn the paint at the bottom of the drum.

I run a Weber lid and only have the four exhaust holes that are on the Weber lid. It's enough for me. I would think maybe two more 1 inch holes would be good.

:eek::eek::eek:...I have a patent on vents...:?::?::?:...where's my check? :twisted:

1. If you can, get a Drum without that red liner. If not Burn/grind/sand until that red chit is all gone. The burn again.
2. Make sure all the hardware that goes inside the drum is stainless steel. Don't use galvanized.
3. If you are going to use that flat lid you will want to go with 8 of the holes you have on there now.
4. Read the UDS bible thread and Norco's Redneck build thread.
5. PRON PRON PRON and more PRON!!!!
Good Luck on the build:biggrin:

Back