New WSM, Top scratched

JoeSmoker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello all, I have been reading and researching this excellent site for a couple weeks now and decided on an 18.5 WSM for my endeavor into the world of BBQ. It arrived yesterday and I could not wait to put it together last night. After completed the build, I stepped back to admire my newest toy. It was then that I noticed a nice scratch about 8 inches long across the lid. I ran my finger along the scratch and it cut through the porcelain enamel in many spots along the length of it. Looking back at the box, I noticed that it was not in pristine condition; perhaps it tipped over and the lid got scratched in transit?

My question is about the damage. Is that scratch something worth calling Weber Customer Service about? Is this a silly concern? Am I being overly OCD about this since it's brand new? I don't really care about the scratch itself, I just don't want to see it become an 8 inch line of rust in two weeks or something.

Thanks,
Joe

It won't hurt it any, but since you bought it new.........I would call if it was mine.

Two choices, call Weber, or apply some vegetable oil to the scratch and get a moderately warm fire in the grill with the cover on. This will season any bare metal and reduce the possibility of rust.

Call Weber customer service.
Let them know it was damaged out of the box. They will send a replacement and likely not ask for the damaged unit back.

Hey, it's new and it should look new.

Thanks everyone. I will give them a call and see what they say. I wanted to fire it up last night!! Guess I can wait a little bit longer.

call weber.

the porcelain on my top and bottom cracked.

they had 2 new ones at my house in a matter of days.

And then you find a 30 gallon drum......

Ha! I love it! This sounds like my other hobby. I have "fish tank syndrome" 3 tanks at the moment, had to downsize since this job thing keeps getting in the way of maintenance.

BTW, that mega UDS thread was where this all started. My time will come...

Call Weber. They will send you a new one without blinking an eye. When they don't ask for the old one back, fire it up. My second WSM had an out of round mid section. They sent a replacement that was out of round too. I called them, and they sent a second replacements, and never asked for either mid section to be returned to them.

I'd pursue a replacement from Weber even though, as mentioned here, it's not a huge problem. When I buy something new I want it to look nice and if it's damaged out of the box, I'm usually disappointed.

And...

Welcome to the WSM family! I have the 18.5 as well and its a farkin phenomenal smoker.

I hate it when I buy something and it arrives damaged. Have you made the call to Weber yet?

Weber will want you to get the serial number off the owner's manual. Then you will have a new one in a couple days.

I called this morning, but my serial number was not on the manual. Apparently there is a white sticker that has it when its on the manual. It is also located on the lid. Of course, I am at work and the lid is at home, so I will call them this evening. The customer service rep was very polite and said that all we have to do is get it registered and they will send a replacement part.

Great Customer service, I have to say!

:thumb:

yeah, i have to say, unless i get a jambo, i will never walk away from weber.

a quality product at a fair price backed up by good people who take care of you.

So, yeah, Weber customer service is by far the best customer service experience I have ever had. Not only are they sending a new lid, the rep then asked if I had the cover for my WSM. I told her yes that indeed I had it, and she then asked if the logo was upside down or right side up. I hadn't even opened the cover up so I took a look. It was fine, but major respect for the customer service. Apparently there was a batch of covers that had the logo printed incorrectly. Just wow.

Then the rep advised me that they will not need the original lid back, so go a head and use it until the new one arrives and throw it away after I get the new one. I was really just unbelievably impressed with the overall feeling from them.

Now to find that elusive 35 gallon drum......

Back