Quick Read Thermometer

BSea

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a quick read thermometer. I received one of the fork style ones for Christmas, but it was so far off, that it's totally useless. A dealer at a BGE store told me about the one he uses (a BGE product I think) that he says he also uses to read hot tub temps within 1 or 2 tenths of a degree. I didn't buy it then because I thought I'd ask here 1st.

I'd like it to be digital & read in 5 seconds or less. Price isn't the main issue, but I think under $50 is my goal. I have a maverick ET-73, so I'm just looking for something to check chicken or burgers.

Any suggestions?

i just ordered a thermopen, about double what you're looking to spend, but super accurate and super fast, despite what people on here will say, color does not effect the speed, but mines orange

OMG. you just opened a can of worms. Many people here will tell you that THEIR color of thermapen is the best. - when the truth is.... the red thermapen reads the fastest; and can attract the opposite sex!

My superfast (in arctic temps) blue Thermapen is getting delivered today. Sweet.:-D

America's Test Kitchen just did a test on lower priced thermometers (they love the thermapens but wanted something priced for the backyard guy) and they loved the CDN brand thermometer, they tested it and in 6 seconds it was done, it looked like this one DT450X or the DTT450

I haven't plunked down the $$ for Thermapen yet but for 1/4 the price you can get a Taylor 9842 professional digital instant read thermometer that is waterproof for around $20.... The only drawback is it only comes in one color : brown mustard :mrgreen:

I've been using this unit and one similar for years and have never had to recalibrate....

Parts Shelf website have them on sale for $17...
http://www.partshelf.com/taylor9842.html

It is a little more than $50. You can not go wrong with the ultra sleek fast and accurate BLUE Thermapen

Thermapen. Yellow. Get one. The end.

Neon Green Thermapen. I use it for Bread, meats and any other thing I can take a temperature on. Not counting anything living!

But yeah, it isn't where you want to be financially.

the thermapen's might cost alot of $$$$, but I can tell you I saved that much money just on steaks I didn't fark up.

It is a little more than $50. You can not go wrong with the ultra sleek fast and accurate BLUE Thermapen
So Far the cheapest Thermapen I can find is $96. While I don't really mind spending a little extra for quality, that seems like a little over kill for someone who's just a 2 or 3 time a week BBQ-er for just the family. I haven't ruled it out, but right now it's not my 1st choice.

2-3 times a week, mess up a couple steaks, or undercook a couple chickens and you'll make that money back quick, besides, 96 is for the splashproof one, the old ones used to be that much, and they weren't splashproof...ORANGE

thermapen0017968791.jpg

[/thread]

I am going to order an orange Thermapen when I get one. I heard they are the fastest and easiest to use. They have a built-in 15 mega pixel camera and an internet link so you can instantly post photos on Q-Talk!

http://thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen.html#

Seriously...
Check out the link below for a low cost ThermoWorks thermometer. They are only $29 each and give readings in 5 - 6 seconds. I don't have one, but knowing how good ThermoWorks products and services are, I think this might be what you are looking for...

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt301wa.html

Or try this one. It is only $24 from ThermoWorks and is dishwasher safe...

http://thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll go with the 1st option (Not the orange Thermapen) that Bogus Chezz Hawg suggested. If it doesn't do the trick, then I'll probably step up to the Thermapen next time. But it will be red. :)

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll go with the 1st option (Not the orange Thermapen) that Bogus Chezz Hawg suggested. If it doesn't do the trick, then I'll probably step up to the Thermapen next time. But it will be red. :)

Hey BSea - I too am ordering the RT301WA for $29, today! Thanks to your thread I found it while revisiting the ThermoWorks website. The 2 extra seconds that this one takes over the Thermapen won't be an issue for me. I only cook a few cuts at a time. If I was doing mega (catering or vending) cooking quantities then I would go with the Thermapen. For my backyard BBQs the RT301WA looks like the way to go. With the savings of $67 over a Thermapen, I can get a couple of briskets and a butt to test it out!

Those lower cost therms from Thermoworks look nice. I love my Thermapens but may get one of those as a backup. Thermoworks is a great company with excellent customer service.

Back