Royal Oak Briquettes

I tried them once and felt they burned faster, yet still produced a fair amount of ash. Only tried them that one time.

It is much better than the Cowboy brand which is the only other reasonably priced charcoal I have found. IMO it burns cleaner and much longer. The butcher sells 5# bags of hardwood from S. America that is quite a bit better, but it is 4x as much.

Would you say its better than Kingsford?

I like the RO Lump, just have no idea of how the briquettes burn.

I'm looking for briquettes that are long burning and produce less ash than kingsford. I dont really care if it doesnt burn as hot.

I think it burns more consistently and without any unusual odor than similarly priced brickettes. I prefer it to KF blue. I have yet to compare it to Stubbs though as I've heard good things there. I got two bags of each in the garage waiting for the next family get together...

I heard once that the RO briqs are the same as the Wally briqs and had no reason to dispute it as they both burned the same to me.

YMMV, however the wally briqs are very good for the price.

i like and use them. almost the same ash. so far much cheaper than k blue unless the k is on sale. k mart carries it.

i like and use them. almost the same ash. so far much cheaper than k blue unless the k is on sale. k mart carries it.

That's exactly where I saw it today. They have it for 5.99 for 16lb bags. Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I'm on my second 40 lb bag, the jury is still out, no complaints, burns faster than K, the price is what I like! $13.99!

IMG_1506.jpg

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

I burn RO pretty much all the time. I've seen about the same ash...but a different kind. Has to do with their filler. In the spring here in the Midwest Menards usually runs some good pricing so I buy a pallet.

I would recommend nature's grilling products charcoal. Starts fast, burns hot and long and leaves a small amount of ash. Plus they're all natural, no chemical fillers or binders. www.naturesgrilling.com

I use RO briquettes all the time. I love them. Cant beat the price. 18#'s for $6.00. If I could find the RO lump in my area, I would use it. I also use Lazarri Lump. But, when I am using briquettes, usually it is all I use in my drum, I use RO.

I'm on my second 40 lb bag, the jury is still out, no complaints, burns faster than K, the price is what I like! $13.99!

IMG_1506.jpg
This product is all natural and will have less ash that the regular briquets. The size of Chef Select briquets is larger that the regular. RO has made this product for years and sells it through food service. This type of product is what K is doing with the Comp product they are selling now.
This is ground up lump with all natural binders. They do not add coal and other fillers and therefore you get less ash.
I use it all the time and highly reccomend it.

Thanks for the responses.

That RO chef's select sounds perfect for what I'm looking for. Anyone know where in L.A. or O.C. I can get it??

That RO chef's select sounds perfect for what I'm looking for. Anyone know where in L.A. or O.C. I can get it??

Try Restaurant Depot, if they do not stock ask them if they will order it for you.

DoItBest.com Hardware stores carry or can drop ship it to most locations for free, or you can pay for shipping. Doitbest charges near 19.00 for the 40# bag.

Locally I know a commercial food service, Sysco, that sells the same 40# bag for around $8.00 to business accounts only.

If you have or know of someone with a commercial account with Sysco, or likely other commercial restaurant suppliers, you could certainly save some money.

I've been itching to get my hands on this stuff, I might even drop the 19.00 just to try it.

IMG_1506.jpg

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg
I use the select mostly, and I do like Stubbs.

now the Royal Oak briquetts in the Gloss Red bag gave off such a nastly odor that I will never use them again.

gonna try K- competition this weekend.

Some CVS stores carry the RO briqs in the red bags (20 or 18 pound I forget which), but not all stores. Look in the larger stores that have more floor space. I have two CVS's near me in Irvine that stock it.

I use the select mostly, and I do like Stubbs. now the Royal Oak briquetts in the Gloss Red bag gave off such a nastly odor that I will never use them again.
Really? I've been using the RO briqs in the Red bag, and I haven't had a problem with that "just lighted briquette" odor. I usually let the fire burn a while and start cooking when I get a clean smelling smoke, though.

I am curious about this RO Chef Select product. I'll see if my local Restaurant Depot will bring it in for me.

Back