"Sirloin Challenge!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS Through Monday, Aug. 31st!!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our New Throwdown Category is...

"Sirloin Challenge!"

33911637880_f861df2791_b.jpg

This was Der Husker's Winning Entry in the 2017 Top Sirloin Master's Cut Throwdown

As chosen by Kanco Connection for winning the "Pork Butt" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - PLEASE READ:

Kanco Connection said:
Hey Moose and Shagdog!

So, I think I’d like to see us do (another) steak TD, but let’s not do the typical trophy cuts. How about we give some love to sirloin...could be top sirloin steak, petite, picanha, whatever. But I’d love to see what the folks can do with the relatively cheap but flavorful SIRLOIN! Thanks for all you guys do.

:thumb:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 8/14 through Monday 8/31.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Noon Central US Time on Monday 8/31.

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Just to clarify the definition of sirloin:

From Spruce Eats:

Beef sirloin is another large section of the carcass that runs from the 13th rib all the way back to the hip bone and from the backbone clear down to the flank (or belly).

The full sirloin is itself subdivided into top sirloin and bottom sirloin. Top sirloin is generally fabricated into steaks that are good for grilling. Since the sirloin is closer to the rear leg of the animal, the muscles get a bit tougher. Still, a first-cut sirloin steak—sometimes called a pin-bone steak because it includes a section of the hip bone—is very similar to a porterhouse.

After separating it from the top sirloin, the bottom sirloin is usually divided into three main components: the tri-tip, ball tip, and flap, which do well with roasting and barbecuing (and they are sometimes made into ground beef).

Although it's not obvious in a two-dimensional diagram, the back end of the tenderloin, called the butt tender, is also situated within the sirloin, and it's either removed altogether when fabricating a whole tenderloin, or the back end is sold as a roast.

Sirloin is a great category.
I got my cook in and I’m sure I’ll post pics this week.

Been to several stoves, several times over the past week. Not a sirloin to be found. :noidea:

Been to several stoves, several times over the past week. Not a sirloin to be found. :noidea:

Its usually better to look in a freezer or refrigerator, the ones in stores are the best~!

(just messing with ya). . .

- G

I would like to enter the Sirloin throwdown.
Cook Thread - https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284836

These where marinated in a shiner Bock beer, woresterire, olive oil and BPS cattle prod injection powder mixed in.

I have yet to decide which photo but will update this once my daughter tells me which one to use.

8-24.jpg

8-25.jpg

Questions :
1. Is sinta (I believe it's called NY strip) considered sirloin for this throw down ?
2. Is pork sinta considered sirloin for this throw down?

Questions :
1. Is sinta (I believe it's called NY strip) considered sirloin for this throw down ?
2. Is pork sinta considered sirloin for this throw down?

It appears that it is, at least for beef:

The strip steak comes from the topmost section of the sirloin, a little-used area of muscle, the longissimus, that is commonly referred to as the strip loin or top loin.

However, I believe the intention of the category description as written by Kanco Connection was that it was to be beef sirloin.

Mods seems I could not edit my original above about telling which photo I would like to enter.
So please accept the 1st pic (top view of the meal) thank you.

I would like to enter the Sirloin throwdown.
Cook Thread - https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284836

These where marinated in a shiner Bock beer, woresterire, olive oil and BPS cattle prod injection powder mixed in.

I have yet to decide which photo but will update this once my daughter tells me which one to use.

8-24.jpg

8-25.jpg

Back