suggestions for a new Smoker

1dusty00a

Reaction score
Merry Chistmas to All Hope everyone survived yesterday!!!!!

Going to get a New Smoker and wanted to get some Ideas. Looking at the Landmann Black Dog and the Oklahoma Joe Smoker.

I have a BPS and a Brinkman 4 burner Grill, I couls also probably enjoy a BDS or Barrel smoker from MO.

I have also thought about making a Two Barrel smoker from plans on the web. It's big but not to big for the Patio, Same with the BDS or Drum Smoker.

Give me some Ideas, Please

Thanks

1dusty00a

BPS = Big Poppa Drum Smoker?
BDS = Big Drum Smoker?

What are you looking for in a smoker? I can't see a pattern in the ones you are considering.

Heres my 2C the BLK Dog and the Okie joe are very thin metal and way over priced. They don't hold temps well and don't cook well with out allot of mods. I don't know your budget I assume you looking for an offset stick burner. if that is the case Look up Horizon Smokers they are owned by the ex employees of the original Oklahoma Joe CO and build them they way they used to be they cost a bit more but are well worth the money. You get what you pay for. Lower cost = headaches in this business. http://www.horizonbbqsmokersstore.com/servlet/the-Smokers-cln-Backyard-Style-Smokers/Categories

Don't consider a new Oklahoma Joe smoker. They are made by Charbroil with thin metal and have lots of air gaps. Old Country makes some decent pits. Also, I agree with Bludawg. Horizon makes an excellent pit. Another option is to wait for a Craigslist score. I have picked up some nice pits on Craigslist including a couple of original Oklahoma Joe's.

If money is an issue. Have patients grasshopper you can get a great deal on Craigs list

Asking that question around here is like asking "how do you choose a new wife?"
... Which is to say you'll probably get more advice than you really wanted.

My 2 cents: you'll probably have different views on what you want after using one fr a year or so -- so don't break the bank quite yet. UDS or WSM are both pretty solid recommendations.

Thanks for the Ideas.

I'm kinda looking to do a smoker that you don't have to compleatly open up and let the majority of heat escape while reloading fuel or product. All of this in a rather small package to fit but not take up most of the 14 X 14' Patio.

Thanks for the Ideas.

I'm kinda looking to do a smoker that you don't have to compleatly open up and let the majority of heat escape while reloading fuel or product. All of this in a rather small package to fit but not take up most of the 14 X 14' Patio.

Fun = UDS
I'm Hungry NOW = WSM

Both meat your requirments

How about a weber smokey mountain. Not very big. get the 22.5 fro around $300 and I think they are great smokers.

Back