Cambro question

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
For those that use cambro's during a comp,when you cooler the meat do you open the vent on the front door or keep or keep it closed?

Closed, but I have to be carefull of timing because it tends to cook a little while longer. I am thinking I need to let it sit for a little while rather than put it right in...of course I could improve my timing and then it wouldn't be and issues...

Depends on the meat heat, I do the testy test. I teabag the brisket between the flat and the pount. If I can hold them there for a complete 10 mississippi count I keep the vent closed.

Closed seeing thats its glued shut, HOWEVER, I do open the door on ocaasion if I think it is To Hot and the meat is still cooking

I pop it open every so often to allow any steam to escape (as this is a steam release valve). Don't want to build up steam and ruin my bark.

closed, keeps steam in so as to keep moisture IN.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it!

Question - do you have the meat wrapped in foil? If so the only steam getting to the meat is in the foil, correct??

closed, until all meat is out, then I pop it open until the next time.

Slight HIJACK

Sled beat me to this question, so now that we know, can I ask if anyone pre-heats their Cambro with hot water in a bottom pan before coolering?

I'm wondering, because I was planning to transport my meats in the box iced down.

Sled beat me to this question, so now that we know, can I ask if anyone pre-heats their Cambro with hot water in a bottom pan before coolering?

I'm wondering, because I was planning to transport my meats in the box iced down.
I preheat my regular igloo cooler . Not sure why or if it helps any. Vinny was doing it at a comp and I wanted to be just like him:icon_blush:

I preheat my regular igloo cooler . Not sure why or if it helps any. Vinny was doing it at a comp and I wanted to be just like him:icon_blush:

We call that Shigging....

Attachments

• shigging cup.jpg
    shigging cup.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 149

Until now I've been using foam Omaha Steak and frozen fish boxes for coolering and transporting my meats. They actually worked pretty good-I called them my Damn-bros cuz I'm cheap. But the last time I strolled through Restaurant Supply they were pushing the new thermoelectric Cambros with PUD rebates. And I've seen chiller plates for the Carlisle boxes.

The Cambros that you can plug in could get you DQ'd, so I personally would not have that kind, even if I did not plug it in. I don't want anyone to think that I am using an electric device to maintain the meat temps. The standard Cambros do a great job without a heating element.

Back