Coffee Wood?

S

singingwolf

Hi all,

I was thrilled to discover that my local ACE is finally carrying wood chunks instead of chips. Was also intrigued by the bags of coffee wood chunks they now carry. Didn't pick any up at the time since I was just dashing in for lump and hubby kept me from the impulse purchase. :roll:

However, I fully intend to go back and get some this weekend.

Has anyone tried smoking with coffee wood before? Any suggestions on what type of meat it would be best on or how potent the smoke is?

I've been cooking with coffee charcoal and smoking with coffee wood for a few years now. It's profile is nice for beef and great for pork. The wood and charcoal is very dense.
Give it a try, you will be pleased.

I've been cooking with coffee charcoal and smoking with coffee wood for a few years now. It's profile is nice for beef and great for pork. The wood and charcoal is very dense.
Give it a try, you will be pleased.

Now where do you find coffee charcoal?

Porkloin is on the menu for next week, so I'll give it a go.

I would love to try coffee wood! I'd think it would go great with pork in particular, as said, any red meat I'd guess.

Coffee wood ? ?. I always thought coffee beans came from a shrub - no real wood in it. Someone enlighten me please.

I wonder if you could take those pucks that come out of an espresso machine and throw them in to the fire and get a similar effect?

Coffee wood ? ?. I always thought coffee beans came from a shrub - no real wood in it. Someone enlighten me please.

Technically it is a shrub, but it has a straight trunk and can grow to 20 feet tall, so there is usable wood.

http://treesandshrubs.about.com/od/fruitsnuts/ig/Tropical-Fruit-Photo-Gallery/Coffee-Tree.htm

I haven't looked at the coffee wood chunks at Ace, but i wonder if they are really from true coffee trees. Any coffee wood would have to be imported since the only area of the US that grows coffee is Hawaii. I can't see that importing wood chunks from any of the major coffee growing regions would be very profitable. There is a tree native to the US called the Kentucky Coffeetree. I wonder if the chunks at ace are from this tree?

As far as the pucks from an espresso machine, you may be able to use them for flavor, but they won't last long. Even though they appear solid, the will break apart into the finely ground coffee easily.

I assume that there isn't a major coffee flavor imparted per se, by the wood smoke of coffee wood as the majority of coffee flavor (from making a coffee beverage) comes from roasting the coffee beans... ?

The smoking of wood could be akin to roasting. :) I would think some of the inherent qualities of the bean could also be in the wood, though I wouldn't expect the flavor to be the same. Kind of like pecan vs. hickory. Hickory nuts are bolder than pecan, as is the wood smoke from the wood.

I did a search and barbecue woods has Nicaraguan coffee wood, apparently there are other S.A. sources for this wood as well. I will wait for someone to come on here with great pron before I go looking for it.

Coffee wood is available in abundance in South America Brazil to be exact has Coffee trees that have been harvested and we approached the concept to bring it into the USA for the purpose of making it into BBQ pellets and decided against it because it is extremely hard and will destroy dies quick.
I have coffee pellets and yes you can take the coffee out of your coffee machine put it in tin foil and smoke with it.

I will wait for someone to come on here with great pron before I go looking for it.

I promise, if I do a pork loin (or maybe a bird) with it next week, I'll post pictures. Of course, the digicam is on the blink and they'll be shots from the cellphone... :cry:

Back