MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Introduction to Competition BBQ Class

Do you want to get into competition BBQ but you don't know where to begin? This is the class for you.

5-0 BBQ has been competing in KCBS since 2009. For a weekend become one of our team members. Let us show you the ins and outs of competition BBQ. We will give you the basic techniques that are needed to make your first competition a success. The goal of this class is help people out who want to get their hands dirty and take some of the mystery out of competition BBQ. This is not traditional full blown KCBS class. The goal of this is for you to be able to start your own team with confidence.

Our team has 3 Certified BBQ Judges that you can ask questions about what the Judges look for.

Topics Covered
  • KCBS Rules
  • Smoker Types
  • Equipment Needed
  • Meat Selection
  • Meat Trimming
  • Turn In Boxes
  • Turn ins
The class is available for the following competition.
Smoke in the Valley. Green Lane, PA May 10-11 (SOLD)
Beltway BBQ Showdown, Ft Washington, MD May 31-June 1 (SOLD)
Bluemont BBQ Bash, Bluemont, VA July 26-27
New Holland Summer Fest, New Holland, PA August 23-24

COST $225.00 (One person per Comp)

For further details call us at 888-977-4227 or Click Here
[B]The BBQ Equipment Store[/B]
[URL="http://www.BBQEQUIPMENTSTORE.COM/?sourceCode=bbq-brethren"]www.bbqequipmentstore.com[/URL]
[COLOR=red][B][COLOR=red][B]Proud 2015 Sponsor of Christmas City BBQ, Astro Pigs and Drilling and Grilling[/B][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR]No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others
5-0 BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
tasterner
is one Smokin' Farker

I am interested in the New Holland class as long as you're ok with someone who knows nothing about competition BBQ except from watching Pitmasters on TV. I'd definitely like to learn though!

-18.5" WSM
-22.5" WSM
- Large BGE
- Primo Oval XL
- Kenmore Gasser -- RIP 5/31/12
tasterner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasterner View Post
I am interested in the New Holland class as long as you're ok with someone who knows nothing about competition BBQ except from watching Pitmasters on TV. I'd definitely like to learn though!
You are exactly who we are looking for! It is first come first serve. If you would like to book it click the link and register.

The only thing you will need to bring is a chair and something to sleep in or on.
[URL="http://www.BBQEQUIPMENTSTORE.COM/?sourceCode=bbq-brethren"]www.bbqequipmentstore.com[/URL]
[COLOR=red][B][COLOR=red][B]Proud 2015 Sponsor of Christmas City BBQ, Astro Pigs and Drilling and Grilling[/B][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR]No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
tasterner
is one Smokin' Farker

Ok, it is done, I'm in!

I hope we both don't regret this!

Looking forward to it!

-18.5" WSM
-22.5" WSM
- Large BGE
- Primo Oval XL

Old 04-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Sweet. I will contact you with all the details as we get closer.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

This will be the BEST $225 anyone could ever spend to learn competition BBQ!

I spent a weekend with Steve and 5-0 BBQ last year at the Smokin-on-the-Bay contest. Steve and his crew welcomed me into the group as if I was a life-long friend. All of the basics were covered including setup, the comp, and teardown. You will even learn the details of building an award winning box. All questions were encouraged and answered in detail. No question was too stupid or basic. Steve does not hide any techniques; in fact it is insisted that you get into the middle of the process and take part.

WARNING: This is NOT a stand in the back and watch what goes on opportunity. In order to learn, get in there and participate: wash dishes, wash smoker racks, etc.

You will be well rewarded by taking Steve up on his gracious opportunity. Plus you will get to taste some of the best Q in the mid-Atlantic.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
tasterner
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
This will be the BEST $225 anyone could ever spend to learn competition BBQ!

I spent a weekend with Steve and 5-0 BBQ last year at the Smokin-on-the-Bay contest. Steve and his crew welcomed me into the group as if I was a life-long friend. All of the basics were covered including setup, the comp, and teardown. You will even learn the details of building an award winning box. All questions were encouraged and answered in detail. No question was too stupid or basic. Steve does not hide any techniques; in fact it is insisted that you get into the middle of the process and take part.

WARNING: This is NOT a stand in the back and watch what goes on opportunity. In order to learn, get in there and participate: wash dishes, wash smoker racks, etc.

You will be well rewarded by taking Steve up on his gracious opportunity. Plus you will get to taste some of the best Q in the mid-Atlantic.
That's what I'm hoping its going to be like! I just don't want to make myself look like too much of an idiot! And I'm positive I will fill my required quota of stupid questions!

Thanks for this opportunity Steve, I'm looking forward to getting my feet wet! And my hands too, contrary to what the Mrs might say, I can wash dishes

-18.5" WSM
-22.5" WSM
- Large BGE
- Primo Oval XL

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #8
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

If anyone is interested we have an opening for this weekend in Green Lane, PA. I had a student that had a schedule conflict.

Smoke in the Valley. Green Lane, PA May 10-11
Beltway BBQ Showdown, Ft Washington, MD May 31-June 1 (SOLD)
Bluemont BBQ Bash, Bluemont, VA July 26-27
New Holland Summer Fest, New Holland, PA August 23-24 (SOLD)

Old 05-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

If anyone is interested we still have an opening for this weekend in Green Lane, PA. I had a student that had a schedule conflict.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

We only have one comp left with a spot open. Bluemont BBQ Bash, Bluemont, VA July 26-27

Old 06-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #11
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-0 BBQ View Post
We only have one comp left with a spot open. Bluemont BBQ Bash, Bluemont, VA July 26-27
If there is anyone out there looking to learn the ropes of a comp from one of the best, this is your chance! Great opportunity and well worth the cost. Plus, Bluemont is a great setting for a comp.

KCBS CBJ

Old 07-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
rtboswell
Full Fledged Farker

Steve-

Is the Bluemont spot still open? If so I'm going to talk to the wife today and see if we can swing the trip to VA.

Randy
rtboswell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #13
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

All, I am living proof that this class is money well spent! I did my first comp this past weekend and got a 5th in chicken and 10th overall against some tough competition. Steve's class was a major contributor to my success. If he offers them in the future, make sure you take advantage of this extremely valuable experience.

KCBS CBJ

Old 07-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
All, I am living proof that this class is money well spent! I did my first comp this past weekend and got a 5th in chicken and 10th overall against some tough competition. Steve's class was a major contributor to my success. If he offers them in the future, make sure you take advantage of this extremely valuable experience.
Thanks Lee. We only have one comp left for the year (New Holland) and we have a student for that event. Over the winter I will post for next years comps so people can sign up.

I am also thinking about doing this class at the store this Winter/Spring. This would be a comp class that everyone can afford. It would be geared to the beginner who needs the basics.

My goal with these classes are to get more people out cooking competition BBQ. It is great fun and for many it is just what they need to get away from the normal routine of work and life. The friends you meet in comp BBQ is amazing.