MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #1
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin
Default Ad Space on a Food Trailer?

I have a representative from our local cable company coming by tomorrow because he wants to put an ad on our barbecue trailer. I have no experience whatsoever with this sort of thing. I'm perfectly willing to do it, it's a good company and I like and use their product, but I don't know anything about advertising rates.

I know there are differences depending on geographic location and things like that, but does anyone else do this and have an idea on what kind of rates this kind of thing would go for?

Old 02-08-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

I have no idea, but please post back as I'd like to know how it went, etc.

[url]www.facebook.com/goindeepbbq[/url]
CT-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:33 PM   #3
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

I don't (so why the heck am I posting?)

Well, because you have a short window time here.

So I'll offer up some tips, that you might either say, good point, or more likely say NSDA (No Sh-- Dumb A--)

Your avatar is your trailer I assume. It looks like it could be vending trailer or competition trailer. I have no idea what you are doing so please disregard the following if I'm stupid. This is from a business guy who has done some advertising.

- What is the radius in miles of your competition/vending schedule?
- How many people live in that radius?
- How many highways are used to get to those destinations?
- Are those destinations still within the potential advertisers market?

What you need to quantify is eyeballs. How many people will see your trailer, whether parked vending at the county fair or on the competition circuit that are within the advertisers sphere of influence.

I know you said local cable company, but just what is "local" to them. It could actually mean a lot further out then you think.

If you also do benefit cooks/concessions, any local festivals, etc., look up last years headcount at each.

Its all about the potential eyeballs.

If you can show them they have the potential to reach 100,000 eyeballs in varied venues over the next few months, thats a selling point.

Whats a fair price? What is add space in your local paper for 6 months?

Incentives? Have them not only pay you a fee, but also help with your cost picture. Example, you have a printer put your logo onto napkins you use for vending. Lest say thats $500 annually (I have no clue).

Tell this cable company that "for just $500 more, you will have your name on every napkin for everything we sell. Last year, we sold 38,500 plates, that equated to alot of napkins and name referrals."

Sorry I can't be of more help. In fact, I'm really not answering your questions so I am of no help.

But I didn't want you to have no answers for tomorrow but I have NO bbq vending experience, just a ton of business experience

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 02-09-2018, 08:35 AM   #4
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

We park our trailer at our grocery store three times a week and it's the only grocery store in town. There's also a pharmacy and Dollar General there, as well as a Dance Studio that all the rich folks take their kids every day. Our town is only 1900 but Dot Foods and the prison also bring in about 3500 people every day for work. The exposure is very good and we also set up once a week in Rushville, 15 miles away which the cable company also serves.

Personally, I'd be happy to do it in exchange for free basic cable and Internet. They're bringing fiber Internet to town and trying to beat a bigger company to the punch on that, and the other company is advertising like crazy so our local is a little behind the eight ball on it. I think I've got some leverage here but I also have a strong urge to help them out. But not without some compensation.

You brought up a lot of good points to consider Bill, I really appreciate your response. I think this is going to be fun!
Old 02-09-2018, 09:38 AM   #5
poorolddan
Full Fledged Farker

Think of your trailer as a rolling billboard. What do the sign companies charge for a comparable billboard sitting in a good fixed location. You will be amazed on what they charge. Get close and you will be fine plus have them throw in yoyr cable service.
poorolddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:58 AM   #6
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

The guy wasn't able to make it yesterday so I've got some time to do a little research now. We'll try again next week.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:44 PM   #7
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic92 View Post

Personally, I'd be happy to do it in exchange for free basic cable and Internet.
I'd be thinking more on the lines of trading advertising. Find an equal and fair platform to trade. You fly their ad and they fly yours.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:45 AM   #8
Grabnabber
Babbling Farker

For what it's worth, I manage a machine shop in Chicago on a busy street. We were approached by two different ad companies and this was the better of the two deals (building owners did not do the deal FWIW):

Term 10 Year Lease
Rent
• $28,000 per Lease Year (Years 1-5)
• $36,000 per Lease Year (Years 6-10)
• First Year’s Rent paid in Advance according to following schedule:
• $2,000 upon Passage of Council Ordinance/Order approving the Sign
• $26,000 upon issuance of all required permits.
• Starting Lease Year 2 Rent paid monthly
Execution Payment
• Non-refundable $2,500 paid at execution of lease agreement.
Commencement
• Lease Commences at issuance of all permits.
Costs
• Project is responsible for all costs associated with the SIgn
Development
Lessor reserves the right to terminate in the event of development
Permits
Project Outdoor responsible for obtaining all permits

Your situation is likely not the same as mine, but you have the upper hand since they approached you in the first place. The advertising companies will pay A LOT more than you think and they seem to think your trailer will make them money.....
Old 02-12-2018, 06:18 PM   #9
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Dang Grabnabber, I could almost rent your whole machine shop minus the equipment for that price here LOL It's crazy how things can cost so much in one place and so little in another.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #10
Grabnabber
Babbling Farker

Yeah, I know. I just wanted to illustrate the point that the ad guys think there's money to be made and don't think the little guy gets it and is going to be a patsy.

Look, the cable company can see the traffic in a local community- they think the potential is there- USE IT. These opportunities don't come every day. They are looking at increasing their revenue by (insert number here) per cent. Our Brother with the trailer is in a prime spot to make some $$$$$$$.

How much do you think the cable company will make? They operate on recurrent billing (mailbox money from monthly subscribers). They can afford to pay a BBQ Brother for his time and effort. $2500 per month is chump change to these guys- they are thinking of bigger numbers. Hundreds/thousands of new subs. Mailbox money.

They can always pay a guy in a costume to hand out flyers at the mini mart.

It WILL NOT affect Medic's sales. He already HAS a great product and they are trying to ride his coattails.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #11
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

Here's what we ended up doing. First off, we're putting a sign at the top of the area on the trailer that says "South Street Barbecue proudly supports local business." Then we're going to put local business logos (the guy that does our marketing/advertising graphics is doing the work and our other stuff at a discounted price to put his logo there as well). The cable company is giving us free basic cable and broadband Internet, and this Friday we're giving a free mac & cheese with the purchase of a sandwich or ribs, or 1/2 price pulled pork sliders, courtesy of the cable company. After we're done Friday, they'll pay us for the free food we gave away.

We'll do more promotions like that with them as we go along. I'm pretty happy with it, and there are a couple of other businesses in town interested in purchasing/bartering for ad space on the trailer.