MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #1
AdamsRibDC
Found some matches.

Default One Week In

So one week into cooking BBQ for a living, I can say this has been an eye opening experience.

First, it is absolutely amazing to get compliments from people who have actually paid for my food. "I haven't had brisket like this since I moved from Texas", from Instagram: "Heads up, people, this is the best #BBQ in DC eva", and most satisfying, that groan accompanied by the eyelids fluttering when inhaling pulled pork.

Second, this is hard work. From stacking the wood to moving primals from the cooler to the cutting board to the smoker and reversing that, I am having no issues falling asleep at night. In the shower, one time. I am banking on the workflow getting smoother as I develop systems and procedures.

Third, building the right team to help me is equally important as building the procedures. Finding people who take as much ownership of the product we put out as I do is a blessing, and makes the day much easier. OTOH, looking up from trimming meat and seeing someone splayed out in a beach chair reading C Lilly's book on my dime almost made me blow a gasket. He was repurposed as soon as I took a minute to calm down.

All in all, it was a good week, punctuated by a pig picking and whiskey party, and highlighted by my 10 year old choosing to spend her last vacation week putting rub on animal parts instead of going to the beach because she wanted to do her part to make sure ARDC got off the ground smoothly.

I clearly have something in my eye all of a sudden, so I'm going to stop typing now.
AdamsRibDC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

WTG, just keep running man, sounds like a great start

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #3
Dadeo719
is one Smokin' Farker

Very cool brother!
Old 09-06-2015, 08:18 PM   #4
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Awesome to hear you're doing so well Keep it up

And that's just great your daughter pitched in to help her dad. You done a good job raising her obviously

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:15 AM   #5
bbqwilly
Babbling Farker

Congrats on the great start.

Keep us posted on how things are going.
TQ 250 deluxe ([COLOR="Red"]gone but not forgotten[/COLOR])
[COLOR="Blue"]"Let me get a Diablo Sandwich and a Dr Pepper. Make it fast I'm in a gosh dang hurry"[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]IMBAS[/COLOR] [COLOR="red"]Certified[/COLOR] [COLOR="red"]MOINK[/COLOR] [COLOR="red"]Baller[/COLOR]
bbqwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
JoSal73
Full Fledged Farker

Do you mind sharing what you did before? Do you expect to make more/less per year to follow your passion?
Old 09-14-2015, 04:17 PM   #7
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

Welcome to the world of BIZZNESS!!! Sounds like you hit the ground running. Don't look back!!!!
Old 09-14-2015, 07:50 PM   #8
PaulstheRibList
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : BishopofBBQ

Yes!!!
> Huge Insulated Cabinet #WhoDat1
> Pitmaker.com Grillmeister, 24"x48" Charcoal Grill
> Jambo Backyard Stickburner
> Pitmaker.com Vault Insulated Vertical Reverse Flow Smoker
@BishopofBBQ
PaulstheRibList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #9
AdamsRibDC
Found some matches.

Thanks everybody for the comments. BTW, how do you send "thanks" at the bottom of a post?

JoSal, I was a finance guy: derivatives trader, investment banker, and advisor over the past couple decades, and I expect to make far less and be far happier making burnt offerings.

Bigger news: TuscaloosaQ tells me my pit will be ready any day now. I'm like a kid the week before Christmas. Tyler has been amazing dealing with my requests, and I can't wait to have to order a bigger pit.

Russ
Old 09-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #10
DR
Take a breath!

click the thanks button on the bottom right hand corner of that post.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:56 PM   #11
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsRibDC View Post
Thanks everybody for the comments. BTW, how do you send "thanks" at the bottom of a post?

JoSal, I was a finance guy: derivatives trader, investment banker, and advisor over the past couple decades, and I expect to make far less and be far happier making burnt offerings.

Bigger news: TuscaloosaQ tells me my pit will be ready any day now. I'm like a kid the week before Christmas. Tyler has been amazing dealing with my requests, and I can't wait to have to order a bigger pit.

Russ

The shape the Market is in these days.....you may end up doing MUCH better in the BBQ biz.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #12
Backnblack
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Tom

Will have to stop in next time I am Home....
Old 09-23-2015, 11:49 PM   #13
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsRibDC View Post

Russ
Take it from another former banker. You will be much happier overall. And the money will come as long as you keep the quality up.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:57 AM   #14
AdamsRibDC
Found some matches.

I don't miss it at all, except at this time of year, lol.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:18 AM   #15
AdamsRibDC
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
Take it from another former banker. You will be much happier overall. And the money will come as long as you keep the quality up.
Bigmista,

I'm a huge fan of your food, my SiL smuggled some back (thanks TSA) to DC, and even after what had to have been 12 hours sitting, bro, you can cook.

The money will be fine; I've set up a subscription model that smoothes the cash flow volatility, and have agreed to provide pregame meals for a couple of local high school/AAU basketball teams to cover what should be the relatively slow winter season.

The quality is not an area of compromise. I'm toying with Wagyu or Prime, and the pork is all locally raised heritage breed, chicken, the same, and the vegetables are all organic.

Biggest thing is that I operate out of a food incubator called Union Kitchen. My overhead is low, and I get to learn about how to properly operate a restaurant without such a steep learning curve. Plus, I love being in a space where everyone is as crazy about their food as I am about Q.

Russ

Tags
bbq, Restaurant, Startup