MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 09-17-2006, 05:35 PM   #16
Range Rattler
Found some matches.

Default Re-refrigerated, Time and Temperature

The use by dates on raw meats are for quality controls only. There is no requirement by U.S.D.A. for expiraton dates. Only Re-refrigerated, cooked potentially hazardous foods must be date marked. When kept at 41 degrees, a cooked brisket may be re-refrigerated for 7 days. At 45 degrees, the same brisket may only be kept for 4 days.

Crovac packaging helps reduce oxygen, which sustains shelf life.
Range Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2006, 06:29 PM   #17
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Rattler
The use by dates on raw meats are for quality controls only. There is no requirement by U.S.D.A. for expiraton dates. Only Re-refrigerated, cooked potentially hazardous foods must be date marked. When kept at 41 degrees, a cooked brisket may be re-refrigerated for 7 days. At 45 degrees, the same brisket may only be kept for 4 days.

Crovac packaging helps reduce oxygen, which sustains shelf life.
You, fellow Texan, need to head on over to Cattle Call and intoduce yourself

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:35 AM   #18
thull
On the road to being a farker

Resurrecting this old thread- I'm headed to Restaurant Depot today to pick up meat for cooks in the next couple of weeks. I'm not worried about brisket, or the pork for Wed and Thurs, but how about pork for the 14th? Any wisdom?
thull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:59 AM   #19
bbqjoe
Banned

It will probably hold if it is cryovac'd.
If in doubt, freeze.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:49 AM   #20
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

The date that the meat was cryovaced should be listed on the outside of the cardboard case it comes out of. I have seen this on cases of IBP and EXEL ribs. I ask the person handling the meat if they can find it for me and they usually have no problem unless the case was thrown out.

I recently heard someone talking about aging briskets for 30 days in the fridge while still in the cryovac at 34 degrees before he cooks them for comps. He also said that you could age them to 30 days and then freeze them until you are ready for them as well.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:03 PM   #21
Keri C
On the road to being a farker

I recently held a 13 lb CAB packer for 47 days before cooking it. Cryo was tight, and it was in a seldom-opened shop fridge. I STILL opened it up outdoors, just in case it had turned. No problem a'tall. Very tender, beefier than most. I regularly keep briskets like that for several weeks with good results. Pork on the other hand, I just don't trust. You never hear of better restaurants selling "aged pork" as opposed to "aged beef". Just based on my own experience, aged pork doesn't improve with wet-aging. It's just... well, old and stinky and .

Just my two cents, for whatever that's worth these days.

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time
1 ECB circa 1981 (retired)
1 Stumper clone, size XL
1 Vermont Casting gas grill (in case of emergency)
1 partially converted stumper clone based on a 1965 Montgomery Wards upright freezer
Keri C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #22
burnin butts
Full Fledged Farker

My wife and I went to Sams club three weeks ago and bought cases of brisket, ribs, and pork butt. All in cryovac. I asked the butcher how long it would keep in the freezer, he said at least 6 months. I pulled out 6 slabs the other day and thawed them out for a competition, and they were just fine. I hope this helps out.

Large Spicewine, custom paint and graphics:grin:
Home made 300 gallon
2 Webbers
New Braunsfeld offset
Brinkman vertical smokin pit.
burnin butts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:53 PM   #23
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

kill date to cook date, most say 50 days(I think) what if you dont know the REAL kill date??? maybe 30 days of wet aging????
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:40 PM   #24
bbqjoe
Banned

Crap shoot I guess. But cryo meat lasts pretty darn long.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote