Need help figuring meat quantity on whole packers.

Biggenz

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I’m catering an event with 300 people, 2!sides and they are wanting brisket slices and burnt ends. Problem is I’m having trouble figuring out how much meat I will need since I will be using whole packers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I’m catering an event with 300 people, 2!sides and they are wanting brisket slices and burnt ends. Problem is I’m having trouble figuring out how much meat I will need since I will be using whole packers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A whole packer on average will yield 7.2 oz per Lb of the cryovac weight after trimming and cooking. Example 15 lb packer weight in cryovac will have roughly 6.75 lbs of edible meat or 40-45% yield after trimming and cooking.

I just had a brisket order at my restaurant for 100 folks, a few weeks ago. 40 lbs cooked weight was about perfect amount. The choice CAB I get has average 60% yield.

A whole packer on average will yield 7.2 oz per Lb of the cryovac weight after trimming and cooking. Example 15 lb packer weight in cryovac will have roughly 6.75 lbs of edible meat or 40-45% yield after trimming and cooking.

So I would just calculate normally volume wise? I wasn’t sure since I would be basically separating the packers into 2 meats.

Not sure I understand the question about separating into two meats. Are you removing the point and trimming prior to cooking? If you do that and trim additional fat your yield could be even lower. If you are cooking the whole packer, then separating the point and making burnt ends then your yield should be very close to what I said. I don't have an answer for you as far as how much flat weight you would have vs point (or slices vs burnt ends) though.

I concur with HBMTN, calculate your raw weight based on cooking the packers whole. Then when done separate the point and make your burnt ends.

Back