MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #1
Steve S
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Holding meats in cryovac bags

I am cooking for a crowd (100+) on labor day weekend and I was thinking about picking my large cuts of meat over the summer when they go on sale for the summer holiday. How long would you recommend holding in the cryovac bags before cooking? I have a full-size fridge in the shop that doesn't get opened very often for storage. Thanks in advance for any wisdom you wish to share.

Old 05-15-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Which meat? Brisket can be held for quite a while, but you have to know the pack date, not the sell by date. I've gone as long as 45 days past the pack date.

But, I wouldn't try that with pork. I won't go more than 3-4 days with pork. You would be better off freezing if you need to hold it longer.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:08 PM   #3
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Yeah, just freeze it and then get it out a week or so before you cook and place it in that fridge. Will be ready and waiting for you to cook when you're ready for it.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:04 PM   #4
Steve S
is one Smokin' Farker

Thank you gentlemen. Not really worried about finding the butts on sale. They are pretty reasonable year round, but looking for a window for the briskets if I come across a good buy. Appreciate the wisdom.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:13 PM   #5
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

If they are fully sealed with no air, they will keep in a freezer at 0° F for a year, I've gone longer with whole eye of round roasts, but would never intentionally hold frozen for more than 10 to 12 months.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote