Can't make decision, need help!!

Carl Spackler

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I need some help on a smoker/grill purchase. It's been asked before and I've read every thread here and elsewhere, but I haven't seen anything that has helped me decide. I can't sleep anymore because I'm constantly trying to decide, so I have to get something done.

I own a gas grill, a weber kettle, and a Smokey Mountain gas smoker and I don't really like the taste of ribs/brisket/pork butt on any gas fueled smoker. My kettle with charcoal and wood chunks produces better.

I'm looking for equipment that will give me the best quality food. I won't be cooking for more than just my family. I'm looking for something that can cook ribs to butts to steaks, with an emphasis on ribs. I enjoy wood flavors and have access to oak, pecan and hickory and wouldn't mind using pellets (i've never used a pellet grill) but I'm not sure of the flavor quality i'd get from them.

I've looked into offsets like the Pitts and Spitts (with a grill over the firebox), Stumps/Backwoods, Fast Eddy's Pellet Grill (not FE100), HastyBake (it's made here in Tulsa). I can also buy all the Gurus/Stokers/etc to make operations as easy as a pellet grill, if the pellet grill can't produce quality.

Please help! I'm so confused that I'm thinking about going vegan or just ripping out my tongue.

Thanks for any help.

If you are looking for a smoker, just build you a UDS.Some people have modified them so they can also cook steaks.

I used my Weber silver grill to smoke everything until I finally built my UDS. It works great and you learn temp control which you will find handy when you get a different rig. Ribs, butts, meatloaf, chicken, brisket, etc..... all smoked low and slow on the Weber. It is a great cooker.

Thanks for the replies so far. My wife/warden has one caveat.....the smoker must look appealing or be able to be bricked in, otherwise i'm on furlough for the rest of my life.

If I had the money, I would seriously consider a WSM, I think they look great, and get a stoker, or, I would get a Fast Eddy, I think it looks good too. If you have the money and don't worry about it, those units will do you well.

Thanks for the replies so far. My wife/warden has one caveat.....the smoker must look appealing or be able to be bricked in, otherwise i'm on furlough for the rest of my life.

UDS, have someone with talent airbrush her portrait on the outside.

Dave

I can't imagiine a wife not liking this....
bgegranite.jpg

Not mine by the way- I saved this picture because I was impressed with the table.

Last edited:
ya beat me to it. :biggrin:
nice.

big green egg.

I am the recent owner of a Char-Griller offset. Very happy with it especially based on price/performance/difficulty point. But, I think I would do an UDS next time. Look at the UDS forum, there are some beautiful units. There is a picture of a stainless steel one to die for!
I'm just sayin..

As with so many other things a lot of your options are eliminated by budget constraints. What are you looking to spend? As for me, regardless of price, if I'm just cooking for the family, I think it's hard to beat a WSM, I've got two of the big ones and love them. I've had a Lang 60, lot's of Wally world specials and still have a couple of UDS's and prefer my WSM's to them all. As for looks, covers are available or just stick it in the garage when you're done.

What's your budget?

Inexpensive - Build a UDS. Great inexpensive smoker with impressive performance. Then use your kettle for grilling.

Moderate - WSM. Great prebuilt smoker, easy to use, no metal working necessary. Use you kettle for grilling.

More expensive. Big Green Egg. Great smoker, grill and clay oven. Looks good and is the most versatile of the bunch.

Expensive. FE1000 or MAK pellet grill. Easy to use, no charcoal to mess with. Can smoke or grill just by setting the temp.

Of course, the price levels are relative. As RTD says, "the BGE costs more than it should, but is worth more than it costs"!

I would go with an egg. I had the same dilemna you are going through, went with the xl bge, and have never regretted my purchase. The egg is really versatile. I can good at 200 for briskets or cook at 650 for brick oven pizza. The only downside to the egg is that it doesn't hold as much as some of the other smokers you mentioned.

Back