MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #46
slamkeys
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker34 View Post
I can tell you without a doubt that the Smoke range is not as reliable as the Mavericks.
I found that too. I've been carrying the Smoke receiver in my pocket when I cook lately, and it loses connection as soon as I go into my garage, which is not very far from the base unit. Too many walls I guess.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:11 PM   #47
lunchman
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmoose View Post
I just got and used the smoke this weekend. Worked well but is there a way to silence the receiver? The annoying thing was that the signal would cut out occasionally in the house and then it would alarm. Drove my wife crazy.
It can't be silenced permanently, if that's what you're looking for. Obviously to silence an alarm, you press the single receiver button.

I usually silence the alarms on the transmitter since I have the receiver with me. Otherwise the alarms go off at the transmitter and if I'm not out at the grill...

I did need to resync mine last week but that was due to my own stupidity. I wasn't paying attention to the button placement on the rear of the transmitter, pressing and holding what I thought was the on/off button. Nope, it was the sync button I was pressing.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-25-2017, 01:47 PM   #48
W.I.T.W.A.G?
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

I love the Smoke and now use the Maverick as a back up. I'll probably wait on the wi-Fi until reviews come out as people always seem to find bugs in wi-Fi systems. My ONLY complaint on the Smoke is the remote. It's to bulky to put in my pocket and dangling it on my neck isn't too comfortable. As many have said, it should have a stand.
Super simple to use and set up and I can count on it. With my Maverick I always felt like I needed another one to confirm temps.

Why Is The Whiskey Always Gone?
[url]http://www.ironsidesmokers.com[/url]
W.I.T.W.A.G? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2017, 03:24 PM   #49
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Nope

I thoroughly enjoy my Smoke, as well as all of my Thermoworks products.
ruger35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2017, 09:45 PM   #50
slamkeys

They should have a setting that turns off the vibration feature. I don't need it, and it would save quite a bit of battery power.

The last time I used my Smoke receiver, I got pretty good at silencing the alarm without even taking it out of my pocket. The button is big enough to smack with your hand from the outside of your pocket.

Last edited by slamkeys; 08-26-2017 at 09:53 PM..
slamkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2017, 09:12 AM   #51
robert-r
is One Chatty Farker

Have a question regards my “Smoke”: sometimes I just want to monitor the temperature of my cooker & only use one probe. I have turned off the alarm to the other channel. However, when I do this – it sets off an alarm anyway. The only way I can turn off the alarm is to add the other probe to the transmitter. Is there a way to shut off the alarm & only use one probe?

Edit: I figured it out. You have to press the button on the receiver.

Last edited by robert-r; 08-27-2017 at 01:10 PM..
robert-r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2017, 07:03 PM   #52
slamkeys

Why can't they add a timer feature to these units? I'm always checking to see how long I've been cooking, but I have to rely on a separate timer for that.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:56 PM   #53
slamkeys

I took advantage of one of the site-wide discounts and bought another Smoke in green. After using mine for a year I really appreciate how reliable it is compared to the Maverick I had so many probe failures with.

I also picked up one of the cradles they sell now so I can prop up the receiver. I was looking for something like that, so I was pleasantly surprised they had them.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:14 PM   #54
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

2 year old thread and they are still getting it right. I too am a Thermapen fan.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2018, 09:26 PM   #55
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

Have they fixed the range issues with these later Smoke receivers? I have one of the first ones when they first came out and the range is my one issue with the Smoke alarm.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:37 PM   #56
TXNewbie
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Someone

I'm at 50 feet through a wall with no issues what so ever. I love mine.
TXNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #57
slamkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
Have they fixed the range issues with these later Smoke receivers? I have one of the first ones when they first came out and the range is my one issue with the Smoke alarm.
I think they solved the range issue by introducing the Smoke Gateway: https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke-Gateway

It allows you to monitor the Smoke via your smartphone from anywhere. I don't use a smartphone, so it won't do me any good, but a cool upgrade if you have one.

I haven't tried my new Smoke yet, so it will be interesting to see if it has better range than the old one. My original unit loses connectivity as soon as I go in the garage or out to the front yard, which is probably between 50-75 feet from the smoker. My Maverick has superior range by comparison.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #58
KB BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Kenny

I have had no issue with range, in fact it has better range than my 1 year old Maverick. I use my Smoke for overnight cooks and the signal will go from my WSM in the yard all the way through to the house to my back bedroom reliably. The Maverick was not as reliable.
4 WSM's 1 WGA and stuff to make Fire & Smoke

KB BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #59
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkeys View Post
I think they solved the range issue by introducing the Smoke Gateway: https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke-Gateway

It allows you to monitor the Smoke via your smartphone from anywhere. I don't use a smartphone, so it won't do me any good, but a cool upgrade if you have one.

I haven't tried my new Smoke yet, so it will be interesting to see if it has better range than the old one. My original unit loses connectivity as soon as I go in the garage or out to the front yard, which is probably between 50-75 feet from the smoker. My Maverick has superior range by comparison.
I have the Gateway and it does work better than the Smoke receiver. My smokers sit under a covered carport with covered sides that sits at the end of the house and for some reason, the smoke receiver cannot go through the metal sides of the carport and the side of the house. It loses signal constantly to the point that it's useless.

There is a Maverick XR-50 thermometer out there that I'm thinking of trying out. My Maverick 732 has better reception than my Smoke.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:46 PM   #60
HouseDoc
Full Fledged Farker

I too have found the receiver lacking range.
Other than that it works well.
HouseDoc is offline   Reply With Quote