MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
sthamm
Full Fledged Farker

Default Smaller Brisket: Any advice?

I usually pick 'em in the 14-17 lb range before trimming. This time, all I could find at my local Costco were briskets in the 9-11 lb range so I ended up taking a 10 pounder home with me. Any special considerations for smoking smaller ones?

1) Cook time (roughly the same or correspondingly shorter)?
2) Wrap time
3) Unwrapped the entire time ok or will it dry out easier?
4) Trim (should I leave more fat on)?

I plan to smoke around 250-275 in my HOS, wrap at around 160 with BP (if color looks good), and rest until dinner. Question is mainly timing when to get started.
sthamm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2018, 12:13 PM   #2
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I treat them exactly the same as I do bigger brisket, everything just scales relative to size.

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
CentralOhioBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Do the same thing. If anything, you have a longer rest period, which isn't a bad thing.
CentralOhioBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-17-2018, 01:19 PM   #4
KB BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Kenny

I agree, same process just shorter cooking time.
4 WSM's 1 WGA and stuff to make Fire & Smoke

KB BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
ThelostTexan
Got rid of the matchlight.

I was just wondering the same thing on size. I was at a place this morning that uses 7-9 pounders where i usually use the largest i could find. I figured it was maybe cook time since it looks like they'd only been on a few hours at 830 this morning and they were serving for lunch
ThelostTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2018, 05:00 PM   #6
El_coqui
Knows what a fatty is.

I used to do 15 to 16 pounders for the food I sell.....that stopped after a few runs with some 10-12 pounders......to me it seemed like the smoke flavor came out much better on the smaller briskets than the big ones.

Even had several regulars ask of I changed my rub up or something....the only thing I changed was the size of the brisket

Old 08-17-2018, 05:34 PM   #7
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
I treat them exactly the same as I do bigger brisket, everything just scales relative to size.
^^^this. 10LB is what i look for. Cook them all the time. Cook them like a 15 pounder.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-18-2018, 04:47 AM   #8
sthamm
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks everyone. Brisket will go in the smoker one hour from now.
sthamm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2018, 08:39 AM   #9
kevinstaggs
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin
Default Smaller Brisket: Any advice?

What bugs me the most about the smaller briskets is how thin the flat tends to be. Seems that I have to trim them off or the “cook to nothing”

My process doesn’t change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #10
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstaggs View Post
What bugs me the most about the smaller briskets is how thin the flat tends to be. Seems that I have to trim them off or the “cook to nothing”

My process doesn’t change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I normally see that on bigger briskets. Cut it off and that's the cook"s treat half way thru the cook.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote